Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.
The time has come to roll out our NEW Outdoorphoto Community site. This means that you’ll be able to browse, but not contribute to our Community (including the Forum, Classifieds and Gallery) sites for 7 working days. New user registrations will commence once the new site is live.

Default New Nikon Full Frame mirrorless camera

It's official: Nikon will soon launch a full-frame mirrorless camera system with a brand a new lens mount. In a press release, it announced that it's developing a "next-generation full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless camera and Nikkor lenses, featuring a new mount," adding that "professional creators around the world have contributed to the development." As expected, it's also working on an adapter that will let you use existing full-frame Nikon F-Mount DSLR lenses with the cameras.

read more:
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/25/...camera-system/
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Default Re: New Nikon Full Frame mirrorless camera

Rumour is Canon is doing same, not sure about lens mount changes though
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

I attended a Canon roadshow - where someone asked Roger if Canon is moving in this direction - and he said:

"No. Unless Nikon does "

There's your answer

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

The writer seems to believe that Nikon wil target the Sony A7, but surely the bar has moved on with the A9 already on sale?

Frequent Member

Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    I attended a Canon roadshow - where someone asked Roger if Canon is moving in this direction - and he said:

"No. Unless Nikon does "

There's your answer
    Unless Canon already has a camera in final stages of development, they will miss the boat...as it takes years to design, test, manufacture, market and bring a complex camera to market.

So,

We might see a Canon with specs very close to the Sony and newly released Nikon FF mirrorless cameras. Why? The specs of the new cameras are largely determined by the available components like sensors, LCD displays (back and viewfinder) and low power processors.

Would be interesting to see the Canon lens mount direction, as the real benefit of the smaller sensor/lens mount flange distance as found in mirrorless camera is a thinner, smaller camera with fewer moving parts (cheaper to manufacture, higher reliability) and much simpler designs for ultra wide angle lenses.

Interesting times we live in...
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE

Well, I have no intention of going mirrorless, but had hopes for the Nikon ones at least. Seems that's down the drain. I probably need not expand, most will know what I mean. Hopefully canon can do something that gives us a future, but for now, it seems dslr will remain my baby.

Wish I could understand why people are so negative about these cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Wish I could understand why people are so negative about these cameras?
    Ditto. Remember the D70. Did anyone imagine what that entry level camera would lead to. Think positive and look forward to the future. And no, I am not in the market for a new camera, but like to keep an eye on what the future might bring. Tegnology is exciting.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

just to clarify - I dont think for a minute the z7 is going to be awesome - probably not. (and some say defnitely not) But I am excited about what it means i.t.o future technology.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Just read that Fuji and Canon are both supposed to release new Mirrorless cameras on the 5th of September (XT3), and Panasonic on the 25th of September Sony should be somewhere too (of course I have no idea if this is true)
    Seems like us old fogies are going to very outnumbered

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Yes, you are right, mirrorless is the current trendy kit. Better photographs ? Maybe. That's what will matter in the end. I also will not change my current kit, but that is from preference. I do carry around a compact on my belt too though, despite being an old fogie

It is all interesting to read and watch.

I dont for a minute believe mirrorless will give me better quality photos. But that's because I don't want to believe it
    Improving on the limitations of DSLR's is what it's about too - Many people want to have a lighter set up to carry. I have seen seasoned photographers (amateur and pro) switch for this reason. Okey some switched back already
    It's the whole direction technology is moving, things you could not even dream up are being invented. So whats next?

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

I think for a mirrorless setup to be significantly lighter than DSLR, it has to be a crop frame like the 1 series was.

I think the real advantages here are:
    1) Fast wide-angle lenses due to the shorter mount distance and bigger mount.
    2) Seeing the exposure in the viewfinder, thus making it much easier to apply compensation.
    3) The possibility of faster frame rates.

The two big drawbacks are shorter battery life and the EVF not appearing natural, due to slow refresh rates and other electrinic effects.

From limited reading, Nikon seems to have made reasonable progress in reducing the drawbacks, but also haven't yet really capatilized on the advantages yet.

So in terms of delivering better photos, i suspect the D850 and the Z7 should deliver almost identical pictures in easy lighting conditions, but the Z7 should deliver more "keepers" in tough conditions, or at least reduce the amount of chimp-and-re-shoot situations.

I also believe they should be good enough to persuade most people who want to change to mirrorless to at least stay with the brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    I think for a mirrorless setup to be significantly lighter than DSLR, it has to be a crop frame like the 1 series was.

I think the real advantages here are:
    1) Fast wide-angle lenses due to the shorter mount distance and bigger mount.
    2) Seeing the exposure in the viewfinder, thus making it much easier to apply compensation.
    3) The possibility of faster frame rates.

The two big drawbacks are shorter battery life and the EVF not appearing natural, due to slow refresh rates and other electrinic effects.

From limited reading, Nikon seems to have made reasonable progress in reducing the drawbacks, but also haven't yet really capatilized on the advantages yet.

So in terms of delivering better photos, i suspect the D850 and the Z7 should deliver almost identical pictures in easy lighting conditions, but the Z7 should deliver more "keepers" in tough conditions, or at least reduce the amount of chimp-and-re-shoot situations.

I also believe they should be good enough to persuade most people who want to change to mirrorless to at least stay with the brand?
    ..I think the D850 will kill anything on this planet for the next 10 years at least especially in tricky situations ..thats why its so good ..
    Next Kruger Trip 18 Nights Tsendze Camp Sept 2018
    Next Kalahari Trip 11 Nights Rooiputs April 2019

And I think the sensor in the Z7 is the same as the one in the D850, so nearly-identical image quality, but:
    I expect the D850 to beat the Z7 in autofocus speed, but as said before, I think it will be easier to nail exposure in tough lighting with the Z7, and also easier to nail focus with manual-focus lenses.

But from all I have read, the native lenses for the Z are fantastic, and we have all said that it's the lens that matters...

My reading is, if you are looking at getting either of these two, if you are mostly interested in landscapes, macro, food, still-life, product or any other genre that specializes in things which are not moving much, or a video tog, get the Z. If you are into fast action, the D probably still has the edge, but that will probably change in the not-too-distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    ..I think the D850 will kill anything on this planet for the next 10 years at least especially in tricky situations ..thats why its so good ..
    You are a tad optimistic........... Where have you been the past 10 years.........

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za