Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Zoom Lense Advice

Hi all

Im looking for some advice, im currently in the position where I want to buy a Zoom lense for wildlife photography.

My wife has the Sigma 150-600 which is an amazing lens.

My camera is a Canon 77D.

Ive been looking around on the second hand market and seen the following

Sigma 150-500

Sigma 150-600

Tamron 150-600

So I suppose ive kind off narrowed it down to the above 3 lenses. But here is my question
    Is the money difference worth the difference of the 150-500 or 150-600
    How good is the 150-500 as ive read some people struggle with the autofocus on this lens
    The ive chatted to people who says the Tamron takes more Sharper images.

Would you say its worth spending the extra money and getting a 150-600 ?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
    Nickie

Default Re: Zoom Lense Advice

I am not a Canon user - but if you are looking at the Sigma 150-600 - make sure you are looking at the Sport version (not the contemporary version. There is a substantial difference in price.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

You really should consider the Canon 100-400 MK2. It is a fantastic lens IMHO.
    Jeff Ash

What is your budget? If I have to rate all lenses in terms of quality, the list would be (note that I have used and done reviews on just about all of these lenses, see my website for reviews)
    1. Canon 100-400 Mk2
    2. Sigma 150-600 Sport (very close to above in optical terms, slightly slower AF in lower light, but 200mm reach extra. Using 100-400/2 with a 1.4x levels it between these two.
    3. Tamron 150-600 G2...still needs f8 or 7.1 for better quality images, and better AF than Mk1
    4 Sigma 150-600 Contemporary and Sigma 150-500 OS, 150-500 wins on price but loses 100mm, can be had for bargain buy
    5. Tamron 150-600 Mk1.....not a lens I am fond of, needs f8 for sharp images, poor AF compared to others.
    My 2c worth...
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonDP View Post
    What is your budget? If I have to rate all lenses in terms of quality, the list would be (note that I have used and done reviews on just about all of these lenses, see my website for reviews)
    1. Canon 100-400 Mk2
    2. Sigma 150-600 Sport (very close to above in optical terms, slightly slower AF in lower light, but 200mm reach extra. Using 100-400/2 with a 1.4x levels it between these two.
    3. Tamron 150-600 G2...still needs f8 or 7.1 for better quality images, and better AF than Mk1
    4 Sigma 150-600 Contemporary and Sigma 150-500 OS, 150-500 wins on price but loses 100mm, can be had for bargain buy
    5. Tamron 150-600 Mk1.....not a lens I am fond of, needs f8 for sharp images, poor AF compared to others.
    My 2c worth...
    Thanks Simon

Budget is around 8-12k
    Hence the reason why im looking at the Sigma or Tamron

Would love the Canon 100-400 Mk2 seen quote a few reviews on it and with the usability and weight it think its a much easier lens to use for handheld but the price is just a bit high for me at the moment.

In that case.....Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, ot Canon 100-400 Mk1. Both can be had for 9k+
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)