Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Canon 80D AI focus responsiveness

I own a Canon 40D and 80D. the 40D I have been using for 10 years and the 80D two years. In terms of focus speed in all modes the 80D is way ahead of the 40D but in AI servo focus the 80D sucks in terms of responsiveness to changes compared to the 40D. I have watched a good number of YouTube videos on how to set up the AI focus servo on the 80D but to no avail - my 40D runs rings around the 80D in terms off AI servo focus responsiveness.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to remedy this?
    Last edited by Petervdh; 05-05-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Default Re: Canon 80D AI focus responsiveness

Just to confirm, both bodies are using the same lens?

Yes they use the same lenses.

Frequent Member

SOunds weird, and utterly unlikely. I would take the setup back to the place you bought it, if possible, and demonstrate this issue to the sales people. Should be someone who can figure this out.
    Not sure about 80D focus setup: because on more advanced bodies eg 5 series or 1 series the apparent speed or lack of speed, depending on how you test 'speed' wouid depend to some extent on how you have the case settings set up - ie how you have programmed the camera to respond. Not sure if that applies to 80D
    Dave.
    Please criticize freely..I try to learn something new every day!

Frequent Member

Quote Originally Posted by Petervdh View Post
    Yes they use the same lenses.
    Iwan is actually asking if you compare using the SAME lens, as different lenses will have different focus speeds... even on the same model of camera.

Best

Leo
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Theron View Post
    Iwan is actually asking if you compare using the SAME lens, as different lenses will have different focus speeds... even on the same model of camera.

Best

Leo
    I have more than one lens. I know all lenses focus at different speeds and each camera body are different and that are also what I said in the first thread. It is not about the speed at which the lens or lenses focus on a but the response time in which the lens handles the change in focus shift after it has focused the first time on a subject e.g. a bird on a branch in a light wind or something just moving after the camera has acquired focus the first time on the subject. Apart from my lenses that I have the problem also occurs with all the big whites that I rented. The problem also occurs with Tamron and Sigma lenses as well.

Peter

Frequent Member

Petervdh, I think you need to speak to Kevin at Kameratek. Some of your settings are opposing each other and that is why you battle with AI Servo. Also what lens are you using?

Frequent Member

Quote Originally Posted by Petervdh View Post
    I own a Canon 40D and 80D. the 40D I have been using for 10 years and the 80D two years. In terms of focus speed in all modes the 80D is way ahead of the 40D but in AI servo focus the 80D sucks in terms of responsiveness to changes compared to the 40D. I have watched a good number of YouTube videos on how to set up the AI focus servo on the 80D but to no avail - my 40D runs rings around the 80D in terms off AI servo focus responsiveness.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to remedy this?
    Hi there Peter
    It may be a problem with the camera. On the other hand, if I want my 80D to focus quickly when I am using it for moving subjects, I set it to Ai Servo Focus Mode. I also go to the C.Fn II menu no 4 - 'Ai Servo 1st Image Priority" and I make sure to set the slider all the way left, to the 'Release' option.
    Then I go to the next menu number, still in C.Fn II menu no 5 - 'Ai Servo 2nd Image Priority" and I make sure to set the slider to 0 in the middle, or if it is taking too much time for focus, I move it all the way to the far left to the 'Speed' option.

Maybe try that if your camera is not already set in that manner. The 40D that you own does not have that autofocus adjustment option, but I believe that in the older Canon cameras like the 40D, the default and only settings where speed and release, so you may be more used to that amount of time being used for focus.

I have more detailed autofocus descriptions on my website for the 80D but hope that suggestion may help.
    Cheers
    Grant

Hi Petervdh - got a message from Grant Atkinson. Kindly contact him on FB regards this problem. Seems Grant got hold of his ODP password and already acted on this problem

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Atkinson View Post
    Hi there Peter
    It may be a problem with the camera. On the other hand, if I want my 80D to focus quickly when I am using it for moving subjects, I set it to Ai Servo Focus Mode. I also go to the C.Fn II menu no 4 - 'Ai Servo 1st Image Priority" and I make sure to set the slider all the way left, to the 'Release' option.
    Then I go to the next menu number, still in C.Fn II menu no 5 - 'Ai Servo 2nd Image Priority" and I make sure to set the slider to 0 in the middle, or if it is taking too much time for focus, I move it all the way to the far left to the 'Speed' option.

Maybe try that if your camera is not already set in that manner. The 40D that you own does not have that autofocus adjustment option, but I believe that in the older Canon cameras like the 40D, the default and only settings where speed and release, so you may be more used to that amount of time being used for focus.

I have more detailed autofocus descriptions on my website for the 80D but hope that suggestion may help.
    Cheers
    Grant
    Hi Grant,

Thank you for the info. I did have a look at you website a while back and have been playing with the settings since. These stetting does seem to make a diffrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Rust B View Post
    Hi Petervdh - got a message from Grant Atkinson. Kindly contact him on FB regards this problem. Seems Grant got hold of his ODP password and already acted on this problem
    Thank you