Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Possible Tripod head for a monopod

Hi All

Those of you who have monopods, do you use a separate tripod head on it or do you use it as is and just screw the camera onto it? I'm thinking of acquiring a quick release tripod head to use on my SLIK monopod, but I'm a little on the fence.
    1. Is it worth the money?
    2. If so, what's the best type to get? I have a standard 3 way head on my Manfrotto tripod and was at first thinking of getting something similar, but I just saw these ones https://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/tripo.../monopod-heads and they look like maybe they would be a better option.

Any recommendations? Advice?

Default Re: Possible Tripod head for a monopod

I use a monopod head as you linked to.

But I almost always put the other end of thr monopod into a belt pouch, rather than on the ground, which would be impossible without the head.

If you want to use the monopod in the normal way, it is more stable without the head.

My opinion: if you use the monopod for stability, in other words if you yse it to allow yourself to use much slower shutter speeds, it may be best to use the monopod directly on the lens (without head or quick relarse).

If you use it to just carry the weight of a heavy lens, a head is great.

Default Re: Possible Tripod head for a monopod

You only need a head which van swivel. I used a Manfrotto 234 head fitted with a Wimberly Adapter plate so that I can fit the Arca Swiss style quick release plates instead of the Manfrotto square design plates. Using quick release plates is way easier to mount and dismount a lens or body when required, instead of the hassle of unscrewing the monopod from the lens. Stability is the same, just much handier with a QR system
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)