Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default On camera flash in glass chapel

Hello

I am shooting a wedding next weekend (this will be my third wedding) and all 4 walls of the chapel are glass (roof is solid but very high). I am assuming that bouncing flash off glass will not be effective as most light will be lost. The chapel is in the shade so the probability of using flash will be high (will go for test shots this week). What is my second best option? Bounce card? I am not yet comfortable with off-camera flash but I will get there.
    Danielle

Default Re: On camera flash in glass chapel

That is going to be difficult. The flash will always glare in the glass walls, at best use slower ss and flash not on full ETTL, rather reduced with diffucser to have fill flash effect and minimise the glary spots on the glass. Bouncing off clear glass will not work. Also try to have the wall facing you at an angle, that way the glare will not be as noticeable and not in line with your subjects. I've used the angle effect with flash to great effect on indoor aquariums . Good luck.
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Thanks very much Simon. It went well - ended up managing with a slightly higher ISO and no flash. Sun came out for me during the ceremony time! But I will probably be shooting there again and weather might not always favour me so will refer back to the tips, thanks a lot

Good for you! Glad it worked out
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)