Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Choice of Camera bodies

Sorry to bring this on you.....I am leaving for Sydney this coming Friday.
    I am taking the following Canon lenses along 70-200mm f2.8/II , 16-35mm f2.8/II, 24-105mm f4 + 2 extenders 1.4x and 2x.
    Which body would you take along 1. Canon 1D Mk iV or 2. Canon 6 D Mk I ? It will be impossible for me to take two bodies (on-board luggage).
    I am there only for 16 days and mostly will explore Sydney and greater surroundings as well as 3 days in Uluru (Ayers Rock).
    Your opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Choice of Camera bodies

Never been to either place, but if it were me I would leave the 24-105 and take both bodies.

Simply because cameras do fail once in a while...

With that combination, the gap in focal lengths is only 45-70mm, which isn't really a problem at all.

Frequent Member

What are you expecting to shoot at 280/400mm?

Personally I'd take the 6D and the 16-35 and/or 24-105 and leave the rest at home.

Two different bodies means two different sets of batteries and chargers.

Well.... that depends if you are going to shoot some birds... Australia is a land FULL of those flappers
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Thanks guys -----and gal
    I thought hard again and take the full format 6D to get the most out of the wide angle setting of the 16-35 for city and harbour shoots.
    I also take the 70-200 for possible telephoto / effect shots with extender 1.4x. I leave the 24-105 at home.
    Even now with all the batteries, and remotes and body + 2 lenses my bag weighs nearly 7kg .
    I love "shooting" birds (all sorts , small and large) but I am more after city/harbour and landscape shoots. I love the desert and Namibia so I will see how the OZ desert compares.

Have a great trip - and bring back the memories - and photos!

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Frequent Member

Gerd, put that bag, preferably black, casually over your shoulder, and make it look light
    Although there are no guarantees, I seriously doubt it will be weighed anywhere. I have travelled extensively with a Gura Gear backpack, and around 17kg of equipment. Once I was questioned - opened the bag and discussed the value, and delicacy of the equipment, and was waved through with a smile. Nobody wants to take responsibility for lenses.
    Keep a sense of humour, and great patience, and I am sure you will have no issues.
    Have a marvellous memory making trip, and be safe
    D
    Please criticize freely..I try to learn something new every day!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Nobody wants to take responsibility for lenses.
    D
    My experience as well. I tell them I will put it in the hold if they will give me a written guarantee that 250k gear will be safe. Works every time

But I have also learned that I dont want to carry all that weight.. I can hardly get my bag in the overhead hold.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Frequent Member

Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    My experience as well. I tell them I will put it in the hold if they will give me a written guarantee that 250k gear will be safe. Works every time
    They've never even suggested putting my gear in the hold, and I've carried a lot of it in my day. These days I use a Pro Roller x200 AW so I don't even have to pretend the bag is light.

Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    But I have also learned that I dont want to carry all that weight.. I can hardly get my bag in the overhead hold.
    Same here. If I'm travelling for pleasure I take as little as possible. Lugging camera gear around on holiday just for the sake of it ruins the experience.

I put the body and the 2 lenses plus all neccessary accessories in my leather shoulder bag (8 kg) and went on board with my laptop as well. Nobody questioned me or wanted to look inside the bag or wheighed it, except SA security. Put both items in the overhead locker and no further problems.
    We flew with QUANTAS direct to Sydney and were also allowed 30kg of in-hold-luggage. I dont know what the other airlines allow BUT WE did not even have a whiff of a problem, never mind a question.