Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5

    Default 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    Hi
    I'm currently holding a Nikon 5300 and 200-500(wildlife 99% of the (time)

    I'm thinking of either another body(maybe d500)and a 70-200 2.8(I'm thinking the new tamron)
    Or
    300 2.8 which costs quiet abit and I'll have to change lenses and the 300 is massive .(I'm willing to buy another cheap body even if it's second hand)

    Or would you suggest the 300f4?

    Which will become best for my needs in your guys opinion.

    Thank you)

  2. #2
    Frequent Member elsahoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    12,028

    Default Re: 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    You already have a 200-500. Why would you want/need another lens for wildlife?
    D500 and 200-500 is a very good combination
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

    www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

  3. #3
    Frequent Member Peter Connan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,135

    Default Re: 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    What Elsa said, except that the 300 f2.8 is one of the very best primes, and will outperform the 200-500 by a very long way in bad light and in terms of isolating your subject.

    300 f4 is a nice lens, But it doesn't have nearly the same advantage over the 200-500 as the f2.8 has. The one big advantage it has (especially the PF version) is weight and size.

    The other thing I want to say is this: a lot of people say that it's all in the glass, and in certain circumstances, this is to a large extent true.
    But only if you can achieve accurate focus, and have enough time to get your exposure settings ideal for the shot.

    Good wildlife photography is about fleeting moments that are infrequently seen. In other words, the ability to change camera settings quickly, and the ability to lock focus quickly and accurately.

    And in these respects, you will not believe how much advantage a properly set-up D500 (or any other pro-level camera) will give you over the D5300.

    My feeling is, if it's a choice between the D500 or the 300 f2.8, get the D500 first.

    I also believe that one should not be too afraid of changing lenses. It is after all the reason for the existence of the DSLR. On the other hand, I have recently learnt to my cost that, even with Nikon, one might need a backup camera if your main camera packs up.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    My 200-500 In the crop sensor 5300 is actually 320-750(something like that)
    So I often loose the opportunity to get shots when the animal right next to my car.

    True you gotta be able to change settings quick and get the focus correct alk the time for great photos, something I struggle with currently. So I want thinking 70-200 and another body so I can cover tge shorter length shots

  5. #5
    Frequent Member Peter Connan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,135

    Default Re: 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    If that's what you want, rather look at a second-hand 24-120 f4. They are dirt cheap because it is the kit lens for some of the full-frame cameras.

    The gap between 120 and 200 can easily be covered by cropping, and then you have a pretty fine landscape lens as well.

  6. #6
    Frequent Member elsahoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    12,028

    Default Re: 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    My 200-500 In the crop sensor 5300 is actually 320-750(something like that)
    So I often loose the opportunity to get shots when the animal right next to my car.

    True you gotta be able to change settings quick and get the focus correct alk the time for great photos, something I struggle with currently. So I want thinking 70-200 and another body so I can cover tge shorter length shots
    Crop factor on Nikon DX is 1.5 thus giving you 300-750 on the Nikon 200/500 lens.

    Correct - the 200/500 will be useless on animals close to your vehicle.
    Consider the fact that wildlife mostly is not next to your vehicle.
    I would use the D5300 for closer images on a shorter lens.
    The 24/120 lens is a good range, although not my favourite lens, Peter is correct - it is inexpensive (about 12k)
    I have 3 bodies with different lenses which works like a charm, but someone still has to carry them around.
    Doesn't matter what you do - there is always some compromise you have to make.

    The 300mm lens is excellent. For wildlife it is good quality - but limited as a prime lens. Save up for other lenses when you get the chance. In my opinion stay away from Tamron. Sigma has some lenses which are very worth owning - others not so much.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

    www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

  7. #7
    Frequent Member Peter Connan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,135

    Default Re: 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    The 24/120 lens is a good range, although not my favourite lens, Peter is correct - it is inexpensive (about 12k)
    I have seen them going second-hand for about R4k for virtually brand new lenses (although that was 2 years ago). They were at that stage a glut on the market, because people were buying the kit with the intention to get some money back from selling the lens, as the kit cost only R3700 more than the bare body (D750). I am not sure if that has changed.

    At that kind of price, or even that, it's a brilliant bargain.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BELLVILLE
    Age
    50
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    Hi , Moe ! If you are prepared to pay R79000 for the Nikon 300 2.8 I asume that that is your budget/or the amount you are prepared to spend ! You already got very good advice from Elsa and Peter , but I just want to give you another option to consider. This is what I would do if I where in your shoes .Get rid of your Nikon D5300 camera body and buy a Nikon D500 ( R25495 OutdoorPhoto ) to combine with your 200-500 lens ( excellent combination for wildlife and birds =300 - 750 on the D500 ) and a Nikon D810 ( now at a unbelieveable R29995 at Orms - think Outdoorphoto will match that price ????? - full frame camera or D750 at R 25695- but D810 alot better than D750 for wildlife and a steal at that price ) and a secondhand 70-200 f2.8 lens ( Outdoorphoto have a 70-200 f2.8 G VR II for R20000 with 6 months guarantee ) to combine together for animals that is close and low light photography - always need a 70-200 2.8 as a wildlife photographer - . All this will cost you R 75490 ,which is less than what a new Nikon 300 f 2.8 will cost you ( not a big difference between 200 and 300mm - can crop - both 2.8 for low light and will use the 70-200 a lot more than the 300 - you have 300-750 already covered ) ! You are now covered from 70-200 on the D 810 (full frame ) and 300-750 on D500 ( 1.5 crop ) and have two brilliant bodies that will last you a very long time - so no changing lenses and you now have a back-up that you won't mind to use in any circumstance ( You will never ever use the D5300 if you buy a D500 ). If you can't buy everything I would defnitely suggest you buy the D 500 and secondhand Nikon 70-200 f 2.8 - i would not buy the Tamron 70-200 - I believe - stay with Nikon lenses if you have Nikon camera bodies or Canon lenses with Canon bodies - just easier to let them calibrate the bodies and lenses or find and fix focussing or calibration problems .
    Last edited by Jaap van der Merwe; 02-03-2018 at 11:19 PM.

  9. #9
    Frequent Member elsahoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    12,028

    Default Re: 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaap van der Merwe View Post
    Hi , Moe ! If you are prepared to pay R79000 for the Nikon 300 2.8 I asume that that is your budget/or the amount you are prepared to spend ! You already got very good advice from Elsa and Peter , but I just want to give you another option to consider. This is what I would do if I where in your shoes .Get rid of your Nikon D5300 camera body and buy a Nikon D500 ( R25495 OutdoorPhoto ) to combine with your 200-500 lens ( excellent combination for wildlife and birds =300 - 750 on the D500 ) and a Nikon D810 ( now at a unbelieveable R29995 at Orms - think Outdoorphoto will match that price ????? - full frame camera or D750 at R 25695- but D810 alot better than D750 for wildlife and a steal at that price ) and a secondhand 70-200 f2.8 lens ( Outdoorphoto have a 70-200 f2.8 G VR II for R20000 with 6 months guarantee ) to combine together for animals that is close and low light photography - always need a 70-200 2.8 as a wildlife photographer - . All this will cost you R 75490 ,which is less than what a new Nikon 300 f 2.8 will cost you ( not a big difference between 200 and 300mm - can crop - both 2.8 for low light and will use the 70-200 a lot more than the 300 - you have 300-750 already covered ) ! You are now covered from 70-200 on the D 810 (full frame ) and 300-750 on D500 ( 1.5 crop ) and have two brilliant bodies that will last you a very long time - so no changing lenses and you now have a back-up that you won't mind to use in any circumstance ( You will never ever use the D5300 if you buy a D500 ). If you can't buy everything I would defnitely suggest you buy the D 500 and secondhand Nikon 70-200 f 2.8 - i would not buy the Tamron 70-200 - I believe - stay with Nikon lenses if you have Nikon camera bodies or Canon lenses with Canon bodies - just easier to let them calibrate the bodies and lenses or find and fix focussing or calibration problems .

    I concur. And stay away from the D750
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

    www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    I appreciate all the feed back
    The 300f2.8 was on the used gear for 35 but don't remember if it was v1 or 2,
    Anyways that's gone, I'll concentrate on getting the d500 first and then maybe keeping the 5300 as a back up for a 70-200 when I see the new nikons on second hand. Then sell off the 5300 and invest in a 810 or hopefully by that time there'll be second hand d850's 🙏baby steps, this is a pricy game we in. But well worth it.

    Thank you

  11. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    Hi
    If you guys go on used gear, the 300 2.8 is for sale for 35,
    I just want to know if that is the old lens or the new one and what year did it come out in and is that particular lens good? I know it's good but if it's good how good is it compared to the new one IF this is the old one

  12. #12
    Frequent Member Peter Connan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,135

    Default Re: 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    Six pages in and I still can't find it.

    Can you post a link?

  13. #13
    Frequent Member elsahoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    12,028

    Default Re: 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    maybe looking in the classifieds Peter?
    its in used gear
    https://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/secon...PriceMax=42000

    it is not the newest version on the market.

    Then there is the
    The AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR for around 31k

    I have not used it - but had a client on tour last week with this lens. Weights next to nothing and the shots I have seen of his are really good.

    Personally I would rather go have a look at the new one for 31k.

    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

    www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

  14. #14
    Frequent Member elsahoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    12,028

    Default Re: 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    heres a review for you on the 300 PF

    https://www.richardpeters.co.uk/niko...er-telephotos/
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

    www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

  15. #15
    Frequent Member Peter Connan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,135

    Default Re: 70-200 nikon/ tamron or 300 2.8(new one)

    I think the 400 f4 PF is a brilliant travelling lens, but I doubt it has any significant advantages in this application over the existing 200-500?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •