Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.
The time has come to roll out our NEW Outdoorphoto Community site. This means that you’ll be able to browse, but not contribute to our Community (including the Forum, Classifieds and Gallery) sites for 7 working days. New user registrations will commence once the new site is live.

Default FX vs DX .... battle of the BOKEH

OK so this is something that I always wanted to try, although I sort of new what the outcome should be. So a while back I took the same shots with my Full Frame D3s and 300m f2.8 as well as with my D7200 ( 1.5 crop DX) and 70-200mm lens.

So technically the 70-200mm ( at 200mm) on the crop sensor should give me 300mm f2.8, but what would the effect on the bokeh be, compared to the true 300mm on a FX body.

As you can see there is a noticeable difference in the out-of-focus back ground detail. It is clear the the full frame sensor gives a smoother ( more out of focus effect) than the crop sensor with a 200mm lens.
    The model was about 6m away from me in both shots and the plant about 10m.
    ( Interesting that the 70-200mm has a little bit less "reach" then the 300mm fixed lens)

Name:  DSC_5173.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  110.9 KB

Default Re: FX vs DX .... battle of the BOKEH

That is quite a difference!

Did you possibly extend the test to see what f-stop you need to close the 300 to to get around the same background detail?

Frequent Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    That is quite a difference!

Did you possibly extend the test to see what f-stop you need to close the 300 to to get around the same background detail?
    Note:

- If the 300 is stopped down to f4, the rendering would be quite close to the 70-200 at 2.8.

- The Nikon 70-200 is a well known focus breather, so 200 might not be 200 at all - the actual focal length is dependent on the focusing distance.

HTH...
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE

Peter

I only shot it at 2.8 because that is usually the f-stop I use on these lenses.

Thanks Leo and CHS.