Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Nikon P900 advice

i recently sold my very old Canon 400D, and my 300mm lense doesnt cut it, so for the past 2 years i only use the bridge. I currenly have a Lumix fz70 Panasonic. The images i am getting from it are ok, but if i zoom in on my laptop it looked "smudge", it doesnt look like "dots" like normal digital pixels look like. Maybe i am too used to the old dslr

I am wondering if the P900 will have the same problem? And i want to print some of the photos on canvas for my home, not bigger than A1.

I love photographing the birds and wildlife in Krugerpark. So I must quickly shoot out of hand and not tripod and dont want to waste time changing to much lenses. Most photos I took of wildlife is between 400mm- 600mm.

I dont have alot of money , so i am so torn between maybe go again for a dslr , but then the 300mm is not cutting it, and i can only afford entry level... NIKON D3400 DSLR, Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR Lens

I only have R10 000 available!

Any advice ? And maybe photos taken with a P900?

Default Re: Nikon P900 advice

To print to A1 with good detail you need a good sensor (DSLR) of at least 1.6 (Nikon 1.5) crop ratio, and acceptably good glass. Entry level glass usually doesn't fall in that class, but entry level dslr bodies will, sensors used in them are generally good if you keep ISO to 800 and lower. The P 9000 is a good bridge, as is the Canon SX 60HS series, with long zooms, but you require a steady hand or rest to use them at full zoom, I have used the SX60HS, and its an impressive little camera, but I won't forego my DSLR's for one. Problem with them is they use small sensors ( 1/2.3" (6.1 x 4.5 mm) ) as opposed to approx 15x23mm sensors in aps-c crop. You can see the difference. Controlling depth of field with small sensors and relatively slow lenses on bridge cameras with small diameter is also more difficult. I would suggest use what you have, and save up for entry level body (new or used) and mid-range glass like Sigma 150-500 which comes up for R8k regularly, or Sigma 150-600 Contemporary or Tamron 150-600 gen 1, usually found for less than R9k
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Thanks Simon,

i am currenly looking at your 2nd hand nikon P7100, how will it perform with Sigma 150-500 , or Sigma 150-600 Contemporary or Tamron 150-600 gen 1? Or is it best to buy a new P5300 with these lenses?
    I need a lense that focus the fastest between the 3... Is it possible to shoot sometimes out of hand with these long lenses, i know its always best with deadrest, but sometimes in the Kruger you dont have alot of time.

Lizel - one thing you need to keep in mind - once you start the road with a DSLR - you are in for some big money - nevermind how you look at it - you WILL upgrade at some point - so if you are at all able to - rather buy fewer lenses - but get the better ones. Because next year you will upgrade. And you will loose money. But ya - if you know you definitely wont be in a position to add to your gear in a year or two - it does change things. I think 90% of us started with the minimum - because thats all we could afford - but girl - do we find the money and justify an upgrade - in no time at all : Good luck with your decision
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

D7100 is superior to D5300 in most respects, particularly the autofocus system and the additional setup options, making it easier and faster to set up for a specefic situation (if you know how you want to set it up at least).

I would say of the three lenses listed, the Sigma 150-500 is the worst, as the 150-600 is it's replacement.

But there are a couple of different versions of the Tamron 150-600 as well, so it gets a little more challenging.

Simon did comparative tests some time ago, I would suggest having a look at his blog.

As for hand-holding, I very regularly hand-hold my 500mm f4 (which is considerably heavier than any of these). Emphatically, they are hand-holdable, as long as you use an appropriate shutter speed.

thanks Elsa, i bought a d7100, GREAT choice!! i am between 2 lenses, tamron g2 (because of the dust /weatherproof, its extremely dry where we live so i will be out in the field) and other one the 200-500mm f5.6.... i know you love the nikor lens but if you look at both what do you suggest? Do you have experience with the g2 tamron?