Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Nikon 180-400 f4 with built-in 1.4x

Just announced.....cold be a real boost for the Nikonians. At a price....

Press Release

LAS VEGAS — CES BOOTH #14018 (January 8, 2018) – Today at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Nikon Inc. announced the new AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR super-telephoto zoom lens, which is ideally suited for photographing sports and wildlife with astounding speed and clarity. This professional level FX-format lens is more versatile than ever, and has been updated with the newest NIKKOR lens technologies including Nikon’s first ever built-in teleconverter and an advanced optical formula to enhance performance and minimize weight.
    “This lens is a great example of how Nikon continues to push the boundaries of innovation and what’s possible with pro-level optics and high-end imaging equipment,” said Kosuke Kawaura, Director of Marketing and Planning, Nikon Inc.
    Popular Pro-Level Lens Gets Even More Versatile
    This new NIKKOR lens is a professional super-telephoto zoom lens, which is even more versatile with an extended wide range of 180-400mm, and a constant f/4 aperture to easily isolate a subject from the sidelines, even in challenging light. This is also the first NIKKOR lens to include a built-in 1.4X teleconverter, allowing photographers to seamlessly swap to a 252-560mm1 (FX-format) focal range. The teleconverter is engaged at the flick of a switch, and is easily operated with a single finger while looking through the viewfinder. When used on the Nikon D500 and other DX-format DSLRs, the focal length is the equivalent of 270-600mm (378-840mm with teleconverter engaged).
    Whether capturing fast-moving winter sports on the slopes or elusive wildlife at a distance, photographers can shoot with confidence from this high performance NIKKOR lens. The new 180-400mm f/4 is optimized for high-speed capture, and features an electromagnetic diaphragm, helping to create smooth and consistent exposures while shooting high-speed bursts of images. What’s more, the AF tracking algorithm controlling the motor drive has been enhanced to increase tracking performance of fast moving subjects. When using cameras equipped with Nikon’s advanced 153-point AF system (D5, D500, D850), the outer row of AF points are activated as cross-type sensors to significantly enhance the AF coverage throughout the frame.2
    Enhanced Performance with the Addition of New Technology
    The lens now uses a fluorite element, which contributes to improved balance while minimizing weight. To further enhance handling and agility, the lens has adopted a new ball-bearing tripod collar ring to create a seamless transition from shooting horizontal to vertical composition. The VR mechanism offers a normal and sports mode, with up to four stops3 of compensation to help create sharp images, even when handheld.
    The lens construction includes the use of durable magnesium alloy for weight reduction, while the lens is also sealed against dust and moisture. A fluorine coating is also used to help repel water droplets and dirt.
    The optical formula of the lens uses eight Extra Low Dispersion (ED) elements, doubling the amount of ED elements used by its predecessor, the NIKKOR 200-400mm. These help to provide extremely sharp and detailed images and 4K UHD / 1080p video, and is ideally mated to high resolution Nikon DSLR cameras. Nikon’s exclusive Nano Crystal Coat is used to effectively suppress instances of ghosting and flare.
    Price and Availability
    The AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR lens will be available in March 2018 for a suggested retail price of $12,399.954. For more information on this NIKKOR lens and other Nikon products, please visit www.nikonusa.com.
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Default Re: Nikon 180-400 f4 with built-in 1.4x

yup - but sooo versatile

If you have to buy separate lenses to cover all that - it would be more than what this lens costs.

Perhaps around the same price as the Canon 200-400 or something like that
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Wonder how they fool the camera's AF sensors into thinking they are cross-type?

Price - I would guess around 180k....
    Simon Du Plessis

Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Why a 1.4 teleconverter and not a 1.7, or 2? There is so much overlap when using a 1.4. In fact, why not just make a 180-560 and be done with the TC completely? There has to be a reason, but I just don't get it. And there must be a good reason, because Nikon are now doing it AS WELL AS Canon.
    Andre

Why a 1.4 - its a zoom lens, they (Nikon) are aiming at the pro market where IQ and AF performance is everything, so maybe they are not comfortable with results possible from a 2x, or 1.7x. Also bulk and mass to a lesser extent. Overlap - not much, its is intended as a one-do-all lens, like Canon's.
    Simon Du Plessis

180-400mm vs 250-560mm gives a huge overlap, since 250 to 400 is covered by both ranges.
    If they had used a 1.7, the zoom range would be 300-680 (more general purpose) and less overlap.
    I don't think that the "comfort with the results" is an issue, as the TC is part of the optical design and
    not an add-on. Canon integrated the 1.4 superbly into the design of their 200-400 and I have no doubt
    that Nikon can too - with a 1.4 or 1.7.
    It is interesting that Nikon have released this lens at all. The "game" started with the Nikon 200-400, to which
    Canon had no equivalent at the time. This put Nikon at a huge advantage in the wild-life market. Canon brought
    a 200-400 to market which trounced Nikon through its innovative built-in TC. Nikon now replies with an
    extended zoom range. In the meanwhile, Canon has released the magnificent 100-400ii, which is a real
    competitor to their own 200-400. I bought the Canon 200-400 back in the day when it had no competitors in Canon mount.
    I then bought the 100-400 when it was released and often use the 100-400 instead of the 200-400. It is a
    remarkably good lens! I am sure that some 200-400 buyers buy the 100-400 instead.
    Andre

And in the mean time Nikon have also brought out the very impressive (especially at the price) 200-500f5.6

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    And in the mean time Nikon have also brought out the very impressive (especially at the price) 200-500f5.6
    The 200-500 is a bargain of a lens, which delivers on the D850. It is likely Nikon priced the 200-500 f5.6 in response to competition from longer Sigma's zooms. The latter seem popular in mud-island, and many brits buy them for the 'dream' safari to iconic Africa. In the prime arena, the new 500mm f4 Sport by Sigma gives Nikon's new 500 f4E serious competition, especially in price. But the Sigma is 200g heavier and doesn't have a 1.7 TC.

Compared to the price of new Sigma 500, the Nikkor is much more!

Extensive testing by Brad Hill in Canada revealed the IQ of these 500's is almost identical. He held on to the Sigma 500 primarily because of the far better AF tuning etc using the USB Port. And Sigma support has also become excellent. See the extensive field tests by Brad Hill on his blog.

Nikon probably thinks they can sell sufficient of the new 180-400 to pro sports and wildlifers. For those ensconced in matrimony, blissful or other, this zoom is the quintessence of 'How to Hide this From the Spouse' purchase.....Perhaps sell said spouse.

Brad Hill also commented on where he sees the 180-400 with respect to shooting wildlife http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog....kon180-400More