Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary

Hi,

Wonder if anyone have a Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary lens that they had to calibrate with the USB dock?

My lens is front focusing a lot, but I still have to fine tune it. Just want to know if someone had success calibrating their lens and if they had better and sharper picture quality thereafter?

Would like some feedback.

Regards
    Riaan

Default Re: Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary

Calibrating with the USB dock makes a huge difference to AF accuracy. If you cannot calibrate using the body, then the USB dock is ideal. Also set the AF/OS balance to favour AF and get faster performance.
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Thanks Simon,

Would you say I need to stick with the distances given in the calibration software as well?

Because at almost 50 meters for the 600 range calibration it gets quite difficult to zoom in on focus chart to see the results.

Is there another way to test focus on longest distance? For example focusing on a rather large object ect?

When I reviewed the lens for Sigma I didn't use the USB dock, although I afterwards did play with it a little, doing the distances of 4, 8, 15 and 25 m if I recall correctly. Cannot see that it will make much difference not going to 50m, as you say its difficult to obtain accurate focus detail.
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)