Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Canon 400mm F2,8 Lens

What will be a realistic price for a secondhand Canon Lens 400mm 1:2.8 L IS USM MK1 (2011) in mint
    condition? Surely not R 140 000-00 as on offer here? : http://www.outdoorphoto.community/cl...l-is-usm&cat=4
    KEEP THE READY!

Frequent Member

Default Re: Canon 400mm F2,8 Lens

Not even close - you can get a new Mk2 for less!

Quote Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
    Not even close - you can get a new Mk2 for less!
    with a 1.4 III thrown in for free

Offered them between 50-55K and they said they can never go so low for a lens that cost so much.... I basically told them that the new version goes for less than 140K and that even the new version second hand is around 80K.

Apparently these people have no clue about camera equipment and they took it to Kameraz who gave them those high figures (doubtful)

It belonged to their late mother who passed a few years ago and they inherited these lenses.

I gave them sound advice and tried to explain how depreciation works etc but they are not interested. So good luck with finding a buyer.

Pity though, they could have bagged 50K from something that didn't cost them anything. Greed is an ugly thing.

the other thing is - they didnt even have the lens checked out - fungus? bumped? dust?
    how long will spares still be available?
    and so forth
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    the other thing is - they didnt even have the lens checked out - fungus? bumped? dust?
    how long will spares still be available?
    and so forth

The problem is that the 600 F4 is no longer supported so if that thing breaks you sit with a heavy doorstop. I personally was interested in the 600 until I found out it was the non IS version and two things put me off, the age (around 20 years) and the fact that it has been inactive for so many years. Only a person not worried about money should buy that lens.

The 400mm probably will still be supported for a while but also not another 10 years, so the longer it just sits and they don't sell it, the more the value will drop and less likely to get an interested buyer.

I think the seller misheard Kameraz and they probably told her the new price for a new version and not her version. I see they dropped the price to R120 000, but hell that is still more than double its current worth...