Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Older equipment and what to do.

Hello Everyone

I am curious to hear your thoughts.

My equipment is getting on in years but as far as I can see it should last for a while to come.

I bought my 70-200 new in 2006 and was told yesterday that (1) it had been discontinued and (2) because of the age and discontinued status I have absolutely no support for parts or any repairs of failures. Not interested.

On this basis I did not even bother to ask about service, cleaning, calibrations etc.

Now I like nice gear but I can't buy new all the time. That is why I bought way above my needs and looked after it...only to hear this now?

Not happy if that is simply the way the cookie crumbles...

Frequent Member

Default Re: Older equipment and what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by antonroland View Post
    Hello Everyone

I am curious to hear your thoughts.

My equipment is getting on in years but as far as I can see it should last for a while to come.

I bought my 70-200 new in 2006 and was told yesterday that (1) it had been discontinued and (2) because of the age and discontinued status I have absolutely no support for parts or any repairs of failures. Not interested.

On this basis I did not even bother to ask about service, cleaning, calibrations etc.

Now I like nice gear but I can't buy new all the time. That is why I bought way above my needs and looked after it...only to hear this now?

Not happy if that is simply the way the cookie crumbles...
    A few years ago I saw a Lotus racing car on the track at Swartkop - it was raced by the late Jim Clark. The racing cars of today will be relics in a museum with no track time 10 years from now... same with that camera. Spares should be available for ten years - after that the odd bit from a bin here or there, but when it goes - bye bye...

Popped an Ilford XP2 film into my 1937 Leica and I took some photographs a few years ago. The Nikon 995 has already died...

I think that is the way the cookie crumbles...
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE

Camera gear is just plain, well..... usable equipment. And like cars, tv's etc they also get old and more difficult to maintain. Well cared for and not used all that often they should last for much longer than 10 years, (my ancient D30 3.25 MP Canon DSLR (first of its kind ) is still going strong after 17 years. But yes accept the fact that that when they are discontinued, and out of the ten year life span since, spared will be an issue. Has been for many years with the non-IS Canon L lenses, such as 500/4.5, 300/2.9 etc. If those lenses AF module goes, it becomes an automatic doorstop since there is no spares and you cannot use MF even. Equipment seeing heavy use should be replaced on a regular basis, 5-8 years at the most, same as a serious traveler will not use a 1990's classic car to do his road travels.
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

unfortunately we see this all the time:

you look for new gear - unaffordable at the best of times
    you look for second hand - the seller wants too much
    you try sell yours - no one thinks it's worth anything

I will buy second hand because new items loose too much value when you try and sell it second hand...

I own 2 x D800. Yes I would like a D850. Np IO am not buying it - as my D
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

unfortunately we see this all the time:

you look for new gear - unaffordable at the best of times
    you look for second hand - the seller wants too much
    you try sell yours - no one thinks it's worth anything

I will buy second hand because new items loose too much value when you try and sell it second hand...

I own 2 x D800. Yes I would like a D850. No I am not buying it.
    my D800's have already lost a lot of value - so I will shoot till they fall apart - at least they have value in my hands

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

I am with Elsa on using older cameras until they explode, I still use my Canon 1D Mk2 alongside my also older 1D Mk4 and it still delivers very good results, no client has ever complained because it's age....In my hands they are worth much more than what I can get for them should I want to sell them off.
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Thanks Folks

Before I get flamed by a Mod - Simon and Elsa - I must admit I am with you here.

Now not to brand-bash before I get flamed for that too...it was just insightful to me that the two "major brands" gave me a very different response when I posed my scenario to them.

Anton - I very much feel like brand bashing myself.... and not only my own brand - several others too.

We tend to forget these companies are not there to provide a service to us - they are there TO MAKE MONEY.

Nothing more - nothing less.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za