Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default SD card showing incorrect amount of images left

Hi everyone,
    I wonder if anyone here has ever had a problem with an sd card displaying an incorrect amount of images left in the camera's lcd panel? I have a Transcend SDXC 64GB card that recently has developed a habit of telling me I have 1999 photo's left even after I've taken several photo's. It's not that he doesn't write the photo's, I can switch of the camera (canon 7d mkii) and switch it back on again and all the photo's are there, it's just showing an incorrect amount. If I just ignore it and keep on shooting it does eventually catch up and start to show the right amount, maybe only after the first 100 or so photo's, but it kind of tends to stress me out, because I'm never 100% sure it's actually recording. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Format it with the computer? I normally format all my cards with the camera.

Elma

Frequent Member

Default Re: SD card showing incorrect amount of images left

Quote Originally Posted by Elma_van_Zyl View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I wonder if anyone here has ever had a problem with an sd card displaying an incorrect amount of images left in the camera's lcd panel? I have a Transcend SDXC 64GB card that recently has developed a habit of telling me I have 1999 photo's left even after I've taken several photo's. It's not that he doesn't write the photo's, I can switch of the camera (canon 7d mkii) and switch it back on again and all the photo's are there, it's just showing an incorrect amount. If I just ignore it and keep on shooting it does eventually catch up and start to show the right amount, maybe only after the first 100 or so photo's, but it kind of tends to stress me out, because I'm never 100% sure it's actually recording. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Format it with the computer? I normally format all my cards with the camera.

Elma
    Elma,

At least I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with either your camera or card.

The answer is that the size of the JPG's that are being written to the card differs depending on settings in your camera (that are one part being used to make the calculation) as well as the type of subject content. So... the camera takes a good guess at the size and use that to calculate the remaining number of files that can be stored. As you have found - there is always more space on the card!
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE

Hi Leo,

So Apparently my camera can't display a number bigger than 1999, so that's what he shows until such a time when the no of images left drops to below that number then it starts the countdown. At least that's what I understand is basically what's happening here. It will be interesting to see how many images before it starts to count down, gives me at least a rough estimate for what I can take. And I shoot RAW, the amount of Jpegs this card can hold would probably scare me.

Where did you get the info about your camera not being able to show more than 1999?
    just wondering where the info comes from ?
    Last edited by elsahoffmann; 09-08-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

I will explain the same thing as Leo did - but perhaps in different terms -

Sizes I use is for demonstration only

if you shoot say a scene which is mostly white (snow) the size of your images is say 20mb
    if you shoot say a scene at the beach where there is a huge dynamic range of colored umbrellas and people and detail and so forth - the image size will be 40mb

It is impossible for your camera and card to know what you are going to shoot - so it gives you an average of will fit on a card. It will start at a constant (eg 1999) but after each shot - the camera recalculates and thinks.... mmmm these photos are not so high in dynamic range - so we can fit more on the card - to the count doesn't change. It keeps recalculating after each shot.
    Last edited by elsahoffmann; 09-08-2017 at 07:22 AM.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

http://prophotosupply.com/newsdesk/2014/06/how-many-images-will-fit-memory-card/

Unfortunately, there isn’t exactly a simple answer. The number of pictures you can fit on a memory card is determined by several factors, including number of pixels, file type, amount of compression, and even the complexity of the scene in your photograph. To illustrate just how complicated this can be, take a look at the below chart which lists out the file type and compression options for a Nikon D7100 DSLR and the corresponding number of images that will fit on a 32GB card.

So, how many images will fit on your memory card? If you have a Nikon D7100, the answer is between 596 and 7,900 for a 32GB card (double that for 64GB, halve it for 16GB, etc.) You can see why it begins to get difficult to answer this question. Keep in mind, the above chart only shows options for full-resolution images. I’d like to say that it would work for any 24MP camera, but unfortunately, different cameras process files differently, and they offer different options for compression. Some cameras don’t offer a compressed raw file, for example, whereas the D7100 doesn’t offer an uncompressed one.* Many lower-end point-and-shoots don’t shoot in raw at all and only offer a few JPEG options.
    Making things worse, the numbers in the chart are taken from the camera’s conservative estimation of “shots remaining” on an empty card. I recently shot a couple hundred photos in raw, lossless compressed, 12bit, and the resulting images ranged between 20 and 26 megabytes. I’m not the best at math, but if we take a 23MB median file size, I think we’ll find that a 32GB card should hold about 1400 images, almost twice what is indicated (32GB x 1000 = 32,000MB / 23MB per image = 1391). What the heck? Different cameras employ different methods to estimate shots remaining, but generally you have at least as many images remaining as what the display indicates.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Elma,

There is nothing wrong with you camera. On my old 40D with a clean 16GB card the counter is 999 (and it stays 999 even with a bigger card) but i can shoot plus minus 1400 RAW files in total on the 16GB card. With 4GB card the counter will say 284 RAW files. My 80D does the same except that the counter numbers vary from my 40D. So it is a fixed max displayed number build into those specific body's, as to why - the people with the white coats at Canon will have to explain why they have done it that way.

Thank you everybody,
    Someone on a different forum told me where to find the answer to my question. Petervdh, I also have a 40D and I guess I just never really noticed that it might also do the same thing cause I never used such big cards. Only after switching to a 7dmk ii and shooting a lot of surfing and related outdoorsy stuff oftentimes on a sandy beach where you want to change cards, or anything else as little as possible that I started using big cards.
    The problem apparently has to do with the size of the top display window, it being so small, it can only display a limited no of things and the no of shots were limited for whatever stupid reason to 999 with either a 1 or a 0 preceding this, why only Canon can tell you.
    Pressing the info button with an empty card loaded into the camera it showed that I have a total no of aprox 2369 shots available while shooting RAW.
    Shooting in live view mode it shows me the number of shots I have left after every shot, or at least every time it's finished writing. I just don't use live view very often, it's a very battery draining way to shoot. But pressing the info button I now know will give me the info I need and I know now neither my camera nor my card is broken or malfunctioning, it's just a thing, not sure if it's a canon thing or a camera thing, but anyways...