Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Nikon Service Cape Town vs. Johannesburg?

I normally have my Nikon gear serviced at head office in Centurion, but I'm heading to Cape Town next week and wondered whether I should give that branch a try. Anyone care to comment on their own experiences - good or bad? (FYI, it's my 70-200 2.8 VRII - nothing obviously wrong, but I understand things like lubricants can start to dry up if not changed reasonably regularly.) Input gratefully received.
    Chris Gibbons

Default Re: Nikon Service Cape Town vs. Johannesburg?

I service in Cape Town - always get good service - and have built up a relationship with CT over time.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Thanks, Elsa - good to know.

I have never used any of the centres to service lenses.
    I assume that they are qualified to open/lube/calibrate lenses and hand them back in tiptop condition?
    For the uneducated (me) - What kind of costs would one look at to have a lens serviced?

thx
    M

Marlon - how long is a piece of string?

The only people who can tell you what it costs - is the Nikon service centre (premier group). And then it would depend WHICH lens, what needs to be done - if it has damage, age and a host of other things. How can anyone here know what it will cost?
    They are the only place who can get parts, as no independent repair company can get hold of parts (unless that changed recently) as this they hold the contract with the Nikon Mothership.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Hi Marlon - FYI, I called Nikon Cape Town last week to find out not how much a service would cost, but how long it would take. I was told - in a rather offhand way - that Nikon no longer services lenses. Instead, I would have to bring the lens in, whereupon they would perform a 'diagnosis'. once the 'diagnosis' had been performed, they would let me know what needed doing, whether the parts were available in SA and how much it would cost. Once I accepted the quote, I would find out how long it would take. I think that if BMW, Mercedes et al can perform a basic service on their very expensive machines, it shouldn't be beyond Nikon to do something similar on a lens, as they always used to. Needless to say, I'm not going to bother now.

Ah thanks Chris. I somehow pessimistically expected as much, it's the norm of service levels these days. Sounds like they are becoming half-assed too now
    One would think that if I wanted a service, I can get one, whether the lens needs it or not. Perhaps this can open up doors for entrepreneurs to start doing private servicing and repairs on lenses and cameras.

Since the wifey is a canon shooter, I spoke to CameraTek a while ago, and asked about sensor cleaning, which they were very happy and friendly to do for her... but the moment I asked about nikon, they said "we simply wont touch nikons"... so a bit out of luck on Nikon. Makes me think next time I choose a brand, it should be around who can service it for me, instead of what i really want and need :|

A service you can get from several repair outfits. However - they can not get parts for you. So what are the chances they find something needs replacing and then you have to take it to Nikon/Canon anyway ?
    You cant expect Nikon to service Canon - or Canon to service Nikon. Again - they wont have access to other brand's parts.
    I wont service a lens unless I feel it has an issue. Why scratch if it doesn't itch ?
    If you suspect your lens has dust/fungus etc - its is no longer a "service" it's a clean?
    You want to go the Sony/ABC/XYZ route? probably most of the other brands are not even supported here - and no technician of Canon / Nikon will be trained in those products either.
    I have only had good service from Nikon Cape Town. Ever.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za