Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Calibration charts

I have ordered the Sigma USB DOC and it should be in hand later this week. Now I need a calibration chart. Where are these available? Are they available for download?

Well...Google is a friend but, which ones are the best for a DIY project. Looking at a long lens chart for my 150-600.
    Last edited by Keith Baxter; 16-05-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Default Re: Calibration charts

Personally, unles you have lots of lenses to calibrate, don't bother.

You can use anything as a target and just compare AF with manual focus on live view, zoomed all the way in. You will need a sturdy tripod, but you need that anyway.

Thank you Peter. I am primarily interested in calibrating my Sigma 150-600 C lens to my Canon 7Dmk11. I have ordered the USB Doc and now need a calibration target to micro adjust for the various focal lengths and distances. I have a tripod, camera steady, good tape and trigger-trap so i think i am sorted there.

Anything else i should consider?

I did find this target but it seems a little small if i want to calibrate for infinity. 40 odd meters.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NPIC...L-Template.pdf

Keith I have used a similar set up as your link - printed, cut out and mounted - but I have never needed to adjust my 200-500, so I cant say how well that will work. You might try and enlarge it I suppose - and of course you need distance. And it's like Mr Connan said - you can use many things - I have often used a simple printed page or newspaper (newspaper isn't always as flat as you want it) but any big book with lots of text can work just as well. same principle applies - set the page up flush on something hard so it doesn't bend (move) and get on with it. Test it with a shorter lens so you get the hang of it and see how it works first.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

WOW Elsa, you have a Sigma 200-500 F/2.8. I don't think that lens work on the USB DOC? LOL...

Elsa the Sigma lenses allow for fine tuning. Those that are compatible to the USB DOC.

You and many others have indicated that some (most) of my shots are "soft". I want to ensure that AF is great and that the equipment is operating at optimum. I want to make sure it is my technique and skill that need improving and that I am not being mislead by equipment not operating to it's potential. Chasing a tail so to speak.

look at this Video, FF to about 4.15min in and you will get the gist of what i want to do.

https://vimeo.com/64665246

All points taken and understood Elsa. You are extremely helpful and teaching me fast. Thank you.
    Last edited by Keith Baxter; 17-05-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Find yourself a palisade fence, stand back 15 m at 45 deg angle. Place a focus marker on on of the bars, some masking tape etc, just so you'll know where you aimed, zoom to 600, AF single centre point, tripod of you want to, and f6.3, fire away. Do a series of three shots, with a complete refocus inbetween shots. Compare results and check which downbar of the fence is sharpest, adjust accordingly, retest and confirm. I do 150mm @5m, 250 @8m, 400 @10m 600 @15 all in one go, adjust all, then repeat all. Easy.
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Smart ass! Maybe the Nikon 200-500 IS JUST SO GOOD it doesn't need fine tuning
    And this is exactly why I returned the Sigma I purchased - the Nikon was sharp straight out of the box.

And yes I am very well aware of the DOCK, what it does. I also understand 100% what you want to achieve, and why. SimonDP has a huge Sigma thingie - you can perhaps check with him if you get stuck on using the Dock. But I am sure you will manage.

Regarding technique - I find with my NIKON 200-500 that I have to keep the shutter-speed very high - and even more so because it is paired with a D800 which has a very high pixel count. If I drop my SS, I definitely have less keepers.

Regarding help - us here on ODP are just like that. Just ask anybody. Free advice, free help, free whatever. I can send banking details if you like.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Thank you Elsa and Simon.

I built the target this morning and did a test shot. Now I know why my pictures are soft. The focusing is way out. Will report back when I have it sorted.

same one I got. But why didn't you you asked - we would have told you why the images are soft haha (sorry couldnt resists)

just remember - technique.... and shutter speed

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Update... I received the Sigma USB Dock this morning and downloaded the software. The process was painless.

Plugged the Dock into the computer and an update was requested. The update was also painless.

Yesterday I had built the target and done a set of test shots (3 each) at 2,6 meters. 150/250/400/600. The focus was way off as indicated before.

Connected the Dock to the lens and an update was requested. I updated the lens firmware. Also painless.

I was going to proceed and do the focus adjustments but had a thought. Let me check if the lens firmware has done anything to the focusing. WOW there was a huge difference.

Now I am as happy as a little boy with two things to play with.

Can you cope with 2 things at any given time?

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    Can you cope with 2 things at any given time?
    Yes Elsa, I am flying my Flight simulator (X-Plane), Calibrating my lens and making arrangements to go to Marievale on the weekend. Will no doubt do a test at Rondebult first thing in the morning tomorrow to check out if there have been any improvements and if the fuss was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Baxter View Post
    Yes Elsa, I am flying my Flight simulator (X-Plane), Calibrating my lens and making arrangements to go to Marievale on the weekend. Will no doubt do a test at Rondebult first thing in the morning tomorrow to check out if there have been any improvements and if the fuss was worth it.
    okey sounds like you are a keeper
    Well done on sorting the calibration - I am sure you are chuffed! now happing shooting and hope you get a lot of keepers !

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za