Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

View Poll Results: Body and Lens option

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nikon D7200

0 0%
  • Nikon D7500

1 14.29%
  • Nikon D500

6 85.71%
  • Sigma 150-600 Contemoprary

0 0%
  • Sigma 150-600 Sport

7 100.00%
  • Sigma 50-100 f1.8

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Indecisive to Camera Body

Hi all

So I've been looking at spoiling myself with a upgrade on my current kit. I currently have a D7000, a old push-pull Nikon 80-200 f2.8, and then kit 18-55 and 18-105 lens.

I'd like to get a new body (keeping the D7000 as a second body) to use mainly for wildlife photography. Probably important to point out that I am a hobby photographer.

So I'm undecided between the D7200, D7500 and the D500.

Then on the lenses I'm looking between the 150-600 Sigma Contemporary and Sport and then also possibly the 50-100 f1.8

So the question is trying to find a balance between price and speed (especially in focussing and tracking) and long term use. For example, is the price difference between the Contemporary and Sport worth it for wildlife photography. Should I go for the cheaper D7200 and get the extra 50-100 f1.8 lens or stick to the lenses I already have to use on the D7000 and splash out more on the better bodies. If so, is the D7500 enough for me with it's better processor or will the extra almost 100 focus points of the D500 give me that much extra needed advantage?

Love to get some opinions from everyone. I have a few months to try make a informed decision.

Thanking everyone in advance
    Phil's Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Indecisive to Camera Body

Hi, the D500 is obviously the pinnacle but not sure if you need it, I would consider the D7500, it seems to be an excellent camera based on early previews etc and quite a bit cheaper, so a third cheaper and probably about 80% as good as the D500. Your choice though. The Sigma is a good option but I would go for the sport due to the weather sealing, optically they are not hugely different, edge to the sport.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply. I agree the D500 is the better option, but it might be a overkill for someone like me. Appreciate your quick feedback. Eager to see what other people say.

Post Thanks / Like

Budget. That is what is going to determine what you buy.
    Some of the best photographers i know are hobbyists - and own the top gear to boot.
    Regarding lenses - consider the Nikon 200-500 f5.6 as well. It rocks and I will sing its praises for ever and a weekend. And exceptionally affordable. I do an unbelievable amount of shooting with this lens - and my results are pretty darn fine.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Elsa

Thank you for your input. So yes budget is there, although going higher end my determine whether I buy the 50-100 or not. However, it's very interesting that you brought up the Nikon 200-500 and it did cross my mind as well. So it's another thing to possibly get other feedback on, but from the reviews that I read between the Nikon and Sigma, the lenses were that close in comparison that there was three things that has me leaning towards the Sigma. The first doesn't really matter and is a nice to have for that odd occasion. That's the teleconverter the bundle version ships with and I like that from a birder's point of view where identification trumps quality of the photo. But even that aside, the sigma is dust & splash sealed (don't think the Nikon is) and the third thing was the extra 50mm gain on the wide side and the extra 100mm on the zoom side.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course one needs to weigh up what suits you personally. I have mentioned on this forum before that I was exceptionally unhappy with the Sigma 150-600 Sport which I purchased and subsequently returned. I shoot full frame (D800) which isn't the fastest body on this side of the equator - and I don't use converters on this lens - you will be challenged already for light - keep that in mind. A crop body will give you 750mm - where I only get 500mm, yet I do get a huge amount of what I want. But obviously for my requirements. On my Nikon Forum the feelings are very mixed about the Sigma, some are very happy - others like me - are not. If you are able to go and try out the Sigma and Nikon first - do that. There is no point in not being sure - and after the fact you wish you did. What can you loose ? At least if you then settle for the Sigma, you will have made a personally informed decision. I am not against 3rd party lenses at all. Own one myself

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

No you make a very valid point and you are right, maybe I should rather go out, take the time, spend the money and maybe rent them for a day and see how I feel then.

Post Thanks / Like

But - you did the right thing as well to ask on the forum - which means you get feedback on what to consider when you try the lenses out. Dont you just forums We love to mess with people's minds (and wallets)

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the messing. If I get into trouble for spending too much money as a result I'm sending the Mrs. your details! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmer View Post
    Thanks for the messing. If I get into trouble for spending too much money as a result I'm sending the Mrs. your details! LOL
    ** Elsa has left the building**

Good luck with your venture

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

I have not done too much studuing on the D7500, but to my mind the D7200 looks like a better camera, except for the superior frame rate of the D7500.

From my own personal point of view, the second memory card slot and the ability to use the old AI-S lenses is worth more than the additional frame rate.

The question about the 50-100 seems to point to interests other than normal wildlife, which begs another question: have you considered full frame?

Post Thanks / Like

The D500 is the body of choice, if you can get there on budget then go for it, will last you a long time. If not the D7500 - not to worry about older lens compatibility, you are investing in the latest and greatest for this body anyway.
    Lenses : I have used both Sigma's, the Sport version beats the Contemporary on all counts, IQ, AF speed and accuracy, build quality. More so when set up for AF performance using the USB dock (Elsa didn't have that on her copy AFAIK). AF goes into overdrive mode compared to standard setting. Ditto Elsa - also consider the Nikon 200-500, very affordable and good IQ/AF. I wont consider the Contemporary or either Tamron's unless seriously constrained by budget.
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit that at this stage I'm definitely leaning towards the D500 & Sigma sport combo. I just think the D500's focus points is going to give me just that much more of a AF success rate. And I've also been considering the USB dock which clearly is a good investment as well then. Thank you for your feedback. Appreciate it
    Phil's Photography

Post Thanks / Like

My money would go towards the D500 and Nikon 200-500, that would be a great combo. But i have not tried the Sigma yet and as indicated below there are mixed reviews from earlier copies. I would really recommend hiring all the equipment and putting them through their paces to find what works best for you.
    Nikon D750, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VRii, Nikkor 200-500, Nikkor 50 1.8, SB-5000 Flash, SB-400 Flash

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    consider the Nikon 200-500 f5.6 as well. It rocks and I will sing its praises for ever and a weekend. And exceptionally affordable. I do an unbelievable amount of shooting with this lens - and my results are pretty darn fine.
    Would definitely agree with this. Do not own a Nikon but used this lens on a friends D7200 and it was a very good lens. Better thanh I expected.
    A friend of mine has just sent back his Sigma 150-600 Sport as he was not impressed. Interesting that you are not considering the new Tamron 150-600 Mkii.

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not, I've actually been looking at this again and recently decided that the Nikon 200-500 is the way to go. With the money saved I could probably consider taking my old Nikon 80-200 f2.8 and upgrading it. And I'm def going for the D500 body. Between the lens and body it HAS to make up for a small portion of my slow reactions. Appreciate your input
    Phil's Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AllanBower View Post
    Would definitely agree with this. Do not own a Nikon but used this lens on a friends D7200 and it was a very good lens. Better thanh I expected.
    A friend of mine has just sent back his Sigma 150-600 Sport as he was not impressed. Interesting that you are not considering the new Tamron 150-600 Mkii.
    Allan I had the Sigma 150-600 sport - and returned it. I will not look at anything other than the Nikon. There is also lens build quality to consider. Traditionally - Tamron is not in Nikon's league - not that I can swear by it regarding the Tamron 150-600mkii.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmer View Post
    Believe it or not, I've actually been looking at this again and recently decided that the Nikon 200-500 is the way to go. With the money saved I could probably consider taking my old Nikon 80-200 f2.8 and upgrading it. And I'm def going for the D500 body. Between the lens and body it HAS to make up for a small portion of my slow reactions. Appreciate your input
    For me - in my own experience - it is crucial to keep shutter speed high. But remember I am shooting the D800 with lots of pixels - which is also in need of higher shutter speed!

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    Allan I had the Sigma 150-600 sport - and returned it. I will not look at anything other than the Nikon. There is also lens build quality to consider. Traditionally - Tamron is not in Nikon's league - not that I can swear by it regarding the Tamron 150-600mkii.
    The new Tamron, according to reviews, is way better than the old one, but totally agree with you Elsa. If the budget allows, original all the way, and the 200-500 would be my personal choice, if I shot Nikon :-)
    I see the Nikon is on special at Orms for around R20k. That's not a bad price for original especially considering the Tamron is the same price.

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't that. But I don't know if it was me, well I know it was me, but was I setting up my camera wrong, to scared to use higher ISO, or who knows what other reasons, or if it a slow camera/lens, but I lost many a shot in my life due to focus hunting. But I lie in bed every night reading reviews, looking at pictures, trying to take in settings, and making appoint of learning more settings and how they affect the image and shooting conditions. I drool over the pictures daily people post on the Rietvlei nature Reserve facebook page. But I know from experience that the speed difference between my first D90 and the D7000 was noticeable and already found a better success rate there. Although I'm keeping my D7000 as a backup body for the 80-200f2.8 lens, I'm looking forward to birding with the D500 200-500 combo. Even just in full auto I should again see an increase in useable images and the better processor and faster speed will help me get those birds in flight I've been struggling with.
    Phil's Photography