Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Mid range zoom lens recommendation

I am looking for some recommendations for a good, but affordable mid range zoom lens to use with my Canon 7dmkii for Sport like Mountain Biking and running. I usually take my trusty old Tamron 70-300mm, but while I love the reach the 300mm end gives me, I'm finding the 70mm part not quite wide enough for things like crowd shots and close-ups. Things like winners on the podium and I have to stand a mile away to get everyone in the shot. And standing far enough away is firstly not always practical, e.g Yesterday shooting the winners at a Mountain biking event I was flush up against the hay bales seating the crowd.

Default Re: Mid range zoom lens recommendation

Elma, do you have some kind of a budget in mind?
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Canon 24-105 f4 L IS a good bet. I don't like the IQ from the typical all-over zooms like the vatious 18-200/300 mm models.
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Simon,
    Thanks I'll look into that one. I've not really ever heard good things about the extreme zooms like the 18-200 or 18-300mm's.
    Elsa,
    For now just getting a few recommendations, we've only just moved to JBay and money is still a bit tight so unless I find a bargain somewhere it'll be another few months before I can think of buying new lenses.

I agree with Simon on the 24-105, good value for money and a very useful range, and it's fairly affordable - look for second hand copies if you like. I now and then see some advertised for a really good price on FB - or of course ODP classifieds.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Some dealers are even prepared to split the 24-105 from a camera/lens package and you then get a brand new one for around 8.500 / 9.000 Rand

I would also recommend the 24-105. I had a 16-300 Tamron and must say the versatility is exceptional but the IQ is dodgy especially over 220mm.
    Nikon D750, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VRii, Nikkor 200-500, Nikkor 50 1.8, SB-5000 Flash, SB-400 Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Gerd View Post
    Some dealers are even prepared to split the 24-105 from a camera/lens package and you then get a brand new one for around 8.500 / 9.000 Rand
    That may have been true a few year ago. Very much doubt if you'll get the new series 2 lens for much under R12k.

certainly will not go wrong with the 24-105L f4, either new or original.
    The more you practice, the luckier you get! (Gary Player) .. and do I need lots of that now