Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Nikon D70 with 35mm 1.8 G Lens

Hi guys, looking for some comments on what is happening with my "vintage" Nikon D70. I swapped out the 35mm lens with a 50mm one and got the same results. I did a "Menu Reset" and a full reset using the little button on the base of the camera..... no change. It looks like it's been sharpened to hell and back.

The photo is a 100% crop.Name:  Nikon 35mm 1-1.8g DX a.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  192.7 KB

Frequent Member

Default Re: Nikon D70 with 35mm 1.8 G Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Rother View Post
    Hi guys, looking for some comments on what is happening with my "vintage" Nikon D70. I swapped out the 35mm lens with a 50mm one and got the same results. I did a "Menu Reset" and a full reset using the little button on the base of the camera..... no change. It looks like it's been sharpened to hell and back.

The photo is a 100% crop.Name:  Nikon 35mm 1-1.8g DX a.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  192.7 KB
    My guess: Moisture or residue of sorts on your sensor. Hope it is not mildew...
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE

SHot in Raw or jpg? If in jpg, could be a software issue, or sensor giving up the struggle. If in Raw, more likely the sensor.
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonDP View Post
    SHot in Raw or jpg? If in jpg, could be a software issue, or sensor giving up the struggle. If in Raw, more likely the sensor.
    Hi guys .... thanks for coming back. I took a similar shot in RAW and it looks like a similar result. Also gave the sensor a dry clean ...with no improvement ... which I also expected.

I do have another D70 with a damaged card reader but a good sensor. Is it a mission to swap the sensors out ? I'm reasonably comfortable with tiny screw drivers and fat capacitors.

The strange thing is, is that if I photograph any thing around the house then the photos look perfect. I stood at the back door and photographed the trailer which is in shade and it came out 100%.
    The photo of the branches is in full sunlight .... would this point us in a new direction ?

I think you should just buy a new camera
    ODP has some looooovely new Nikons
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

You say that is a 100% crop of that image - can you post the original (no crop) and tell us where you focussed?

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    You say that is a 100% crop of that image - can you post the original (no crop) and tell us where you focussed?
    Hi Elsa .... The site won't let me upload the uncropped photo ...resized it to 1400x800 but it's still bigger than the 290kb ??? Finances don't allow for any new cameras (retrenched) I've placed an ad on Gumtree looking out for damaged D70s anyone may want to let go for a reasonable price I've used different lenses and get similar results so it's definitely the camera. Swapped CF cards... fully charged battery, cleaned the sensor etc. It looks easy enough to swap out the sensor.

do me a favour and email me the full size image (if raw even better)

info@elsa.co.za

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Okay, I have reviewed the full-size NEF sent to Elsa, and see no problem at all. Focus seems sharp on the caravan and containers, DoF just tapering off towards the trees in the background. 100% crops compressed to 150kb shows no pixelation or jaggies, are you quite sure that you don't have resolution issue on slightly oof objects in highlights area? See the link for the image uploaded into the gallery. Developed only from NEF to jpg in LR. Forum won't upload the image...

http://www.outdoorphoto.community/ga...le-d70&cat=561
    Last edited by SimonDP; 01-03-2017 at 09:15 AM. Reason: pics
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Thanks Simon - Bernard I was running around and asked Simon to also look at the image. Sorry I looked so quick - time is just an issue at present.

You say focus was in the centre of the photo - but the two subjects on the side seem to be in focus? Simon and I agree that we don't think there is an issue - but obviously we are not shooting with your camera - nor do we know what your previous experience was in this respect. Hard contrast and sunlight can create a problem in how the background renders. The image you sent me isnt one you would normally shoot in my opinion - so you did this for test purposes I assume. Sorry I missed the settings on the raw - that happens when you try to rush things along.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Thanks Simon and Elsa, I've attached a crop of the top part of the shed photo. I use xnview to view the photos and then clicked on full size and then then cropped what you see here .... something is odd
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bernard - I sent you the details for Jab - go have a chat with him when he is available - at least he will be able to test it to see what he wants to see - thats about the best I think you can do at present (apart from buying a new D5 haha) If anyone has a D5 lying around I will gladly look after it for you for a bit

Your red/green is also WAY past being weird.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

D5 ... ja ...riiight Just went to check B&H ....about R90 000 before customs and vat.
    I have another D70s which is my workhorse with an 18-200 OS on it but this one with the sensor issue I want to use with the nikon 35 1.8 as a street camera. I don't think I'll ever be in the market again for a new camera so I have to look after what I already have ... hence my also "stock piling" broken D70s

check your mail - I have sent you some info

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

I had a D70 and some of its pics are on the wall of my office. It was the first DSLR in my opinion that offered a viable alternative to decent film.
    Dont forget it is a 6Mp sensor and the dynamic range (toning) and light sensitivity (ISO) is a far cry from modern camera sensors. It can produce great pics but will be less flexible in challenging light than more modern DSLR's. It will definitely be less tolerant of cropping due to the limited number of pixels.

Another caveat relates to processing of jpeg images. Each time you work on and save a jpg it recompresses the data. Low resolution images get visibly degraded after only a few cycles. So rather do all your processing in one session, preserve the original and save one worked up copy at the end.

Camera settings also....i dont recall if D70 allows to alter built in sharpening but you should shoot at max allowable quality (6 Mp) and colour bit depth.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    JamesV
    ==================================================
    D810, D800, 105 f2.8G VR, 18-35D-AF, 24-120 f4G VR, 70-200 f4G VR, 300 f4 AF-S, 500 f4G VR, TC1.4E III, SB800