Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Frequent Member Etienne Oosthuizen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Useing the Fujifilm XT2 day in and day out

I have recently switched and just curious if there any Fujifilm users on the Forum? I have had some mixed experiences up until now. While the camera it is in my hands I absolutely love it ... The issues I have are with the auto focusing system, its far more complex and advanced then what you expect from a mirrorless. But by far the biggest issue is how Adobe products are playing with the X-trans RAF files ... sharpening is a bit of an issue ...

I have shared a few more thoughts on the XT2 here: http://blog.etienneoosthuizen.com/20...phy-again.html

But would love to hear thoughts about the camera from other users ...

Regards
    Etienne

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Useing the Fujifilm XT2 day in and day out

Not sure what to make of the silence from other users. Based on the long waiting list for the X-t2 there should be quite a few Fuji users...
    Just unwrapped the cameras and have used them a few times albeit in dismal weather.
    I have restricted my use to testing the various Film simulations but will check on the RAW output this month. I also use Lightroom so hope this issue is / will be resolved. I read that the clarity slider works better than the sharpening tool.
    The Fuji has fulfilled my desire to have a smaller kit. I have had a year of experience with the X-t1 and as you have noted , find myself enjoying the set up of the camera.
    I have noted a significant improvement in the auto focus speed moving to the X-t2. I still need to test the accuracy but was able to easily track flying vultures in dim light (iso 6400). I used the default focus menu 1. I will work through the other focus modes. I was used to this from Canon so I dont forsee any issues provided the camera responds as expected.
    I have now invested in a couple bodies and 4 lenses. I have also found myself drawn more to composition and learning use of filters and other photographic dimensions from previously just trying to seek out large fanged furry creatures trying to sharpen their teeth on Bambi and co. This will obviously be alot of change and I am realistic at this stage that my abilities and not the camera are the limiting factors.
    Cheers
    Shane

Frequent Member Etienne Oosthuizen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Shane,

I suspect there is a realization from the great DSLR community that the XT2 is a "proper" camera and it can do anything that a DSLR can do and in most cases much better, what has struck me is exactly what you have pointed out ... it has made me fall in love with the act of taking a photograph and I am thinking of each image individually ... where with a DSLR you setup a camera and for that light and scene you just blast off frames now worrying about the images as the exposure has been set (with the buffer being aperture or shutter priority) ... with the fuji I am thinking alot more which is challenging ... which is ultimately fun and the images carry alot more rewarding feel to them.

The focusing is lighting quick, I have done alot of testing with my staffy, and its tracking is good with the dog running striaght towards me I ... I a better hit rate shooting with less focus points and at 8 fps, it seems to offer the camera a better oppertunty to think and focus between frames, but I was more than happy with the 14fps as well, but those extra frames just adds alot more work to your editing workflow. so I am happy at 8fps ...

I dont apply any sharping in Lightroom to the RAF file and actually remove the default shapring that LR adds on upload, The NIK output sharppening has giveing me the best results for web ... if I intent to print large, then I may use Capture One (version 9) to edit the image.

REgards
    Etienne

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys.

ive been shooting canon since I was 8 years old. An AV1 then onto an AE1P. I was school photographer and I lived with my 50mm 1.4 and 35-70mm. Photography was a craft and each image took thought, and the results spoke of a moment.

Then came autofocus, and I got my 1000f, and I started thinking less about focus and I thought that was a progression as now I could take images quicker...

then in the digital age came, and it became even easier, take 10 images and choose the one you wanted, no more 24 or 36 exposure restrictions, variable ISO, less thought involved. Little did I know but I was being dumbed down.

25 years later I was full frame with my 6D and white glass. Heavy, pronounced, but superb image quality, almost clinical finish, like watching a soccer player scoring a goal with no celebration. I didn't mind the size of the equipment and the weight because it was, I thought, worth the effort.

then along came the Fuji x100s.

motherfluffer.

small, powerful, beautiful, unassuming, did I say small and powerful?

yes the process slowed down incredibly, but the results started to speak to me again. I didn't get as many keepers as I did with my Canon gear, but the ones I did get.. reminded me of the reason why I fell in love with taking images.

and then I tried an xe1 with the "kit" 18-55... Beautiful. Nobody paid attention to me when I took images, it allowed me to be invisible. There was a time when I enjoyed the looks I got when people saw my full fame kit with white glass, but I soon learnt that it was restrictive element: many times I was warned not to take images at events, or people did their best to avoid the lens.

not anymore.

i then got my xe2. The rangefinder style, the beautiful xf glass available. I did the unthinkable and sold my canon gear. Not easy to divorce a 35 year marriage.

Do do I regret it? No.

the image taking process is now slower, more deliberate, I'm shooting less frames, but I'm making images that speak to me again. I can honestly say that I've taken some of my most memorable images of my life in the last two years since my move.

and believe it or not, shooting my Fuji with my canon flash (flash in manual mode), focus is spot on every singe frame.. Better than my 6D ever was.

if you're thinking of doing it.. Just Do It!