Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.
    Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Battery Problems

Greets and Happy Xmas

Dusted off the old 5D Mark 1 to discover the proper original CANON BP511A batteries dead as dodos
    Were charged and working 100% when stored.
    When put into the proper original Canon charger they blink for a bit and then go straight to full charge
    Obviously something wrong there
    When I check with the multi-meter no voltage is shown <cry>

I have since come to understand that Li-Ion batteries have more tricks than a bag of monkeys
    Apparently IF they discharge below a certain level you cannot recover them ?
    The battery pack has embedded electronics ( "intelligence" )

Does anyone have any experience with misbehaving camera Li-Ion batteries ?
    or
    Know of anyway to "reboot" them ? ( looking at the over R1,000.00 price of original Canon Batteries one becomes quite desperate )

Failing that any suggestions for very good alternatives -- eg perhaps SterlingTek / Duracell ?

I am also looking for an AC adapter -- the Canon Model number is ACK-E2 AC Power Adapter for Canon EOS DSLR cameras
    Seeing as Canon no longer get their suppliers to provide these a good generic would be in order ( unless someone has an original going begging ? )
    Suggestions very welcome.
    I hate throwing stuff away ( I am even tempted to disassemble the damn battery and see if anything can be done with it ? )

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Battery Problems

Li-Ion don't last indefinitely. They can only be charged x number of times, where after performance ie keeping a charge, drops dramatically. Time to replace. I've had goor results usuing Hahnel batteries, about half the price of Canon originals and just as good to my mind.
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Battery Problems

Quote Originally Posted by SimonDP View Post
    Li-Ion don't last indefinitely. They can only be charged x number of times, where after performance ie keeping a charge, drops dramatically. Time to replace. I've had goor results usuing Hahnel batteries, about half the price of Canon originals and just as good to my mind.
    Thanks for reply
    Sad part is the camera does not get used that often so I am sure batteries have not been charged too many times
    What was done wrong was leaving the batteries in the camera when stored ( should have taken them out and left half charged )
    I did have a look at the HAHNEL but at R750.00 ( South African price ) still to my mind much too much for a little camera battery.
    On fleabay other good names for about US$24 -- about R250 - 300.00. Even if they do not last as long still worth it.
    ( I do have some Power2000 as well as a Stirlingtek which are still going strong )
    When these Chinese / Japanese companies are turning these items out by the thousands / hundreds of thousands how much do you think one small Li-Ion cell costs ?
    Next time I go to a Canon roadshow I need to ask Roger Machin about Canons predatory pricing on accessories -- particularly batteries

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris, Merry, merry to you too ...and a happy slither into 2017 !!
    I hope the following info helps you. I used the cheaper batteries (China) for some time and had no hassles BUT they do not live as long as the original Canon batteries (they are between R 550 and R800). They come in bubble packs and look good but I had 2 out of 5 which died on me after 3 or 4 charges. So I decided to go the Canon way again.

Please note that Li-Ion batteries do have a limited life expectancy (2 to 3 years, whether they are used or not !), so depending on your dead battery's age, revival might not be possible...

1: Keep your batteries at room temperature

That means between 20 and 25 degrees C. The worst thing that can happen to a lithium-ion battery is to have a full charge and be subjected to elevated temperatures. So don't leave or charge your mobile device's battery in your car if it's hot out. Heat is by far the largest factor when it comes to reducing lithium-ion battery life.
    2: Think about getting a high-capacity lithium-ion battery, rather than carrying a spare

Batteries deteriorate over time, whether they're being used or not. So a spare battery won't last much longer than the one in use. It's important to remember the aging characteristic when purchasing batteries. Make sure to ask for ones with the most recent manufacturing date.
    3: Allow partial discharges and avoid full ones (usually)

Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. That means deep-discharge cycles are not required. In fact, it's better for the battery to use partial-discharge cycles.

There is one exception. Battery experts suggest that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge. Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the device's power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will be recalibrated.
    4: Avoid completely discharging lithium-ion batteries

If a lithium-ion battery is discharged below 2.5 volts per cell, a safety circuit built into the battery opens and the battery appears to be dead. The original charger will be of no use. Only battery analyzers with the boost function have a chance of recharging the battery.
    Also, for safety reasons, do not recharge deeply discharged lithium-ion batteries if they have been stored in that condition for several months.
    5: For extended storage, discharge a lithium-ion battery to about 40 percent and store it in a cool place (fridge is fine but don't freeze)

It seems to me that sticking to Canon might be the better bet...

Gerd

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Battery Problems

Hi Gerd , Thanks for reply , good info , and kind wishes
    In my experience .... ( everyone's mileage varies ) I have some alt batteries ( GP ) that are pretty ancient and still work.
    In my case I think the fatal action was leaving the batteries in the device for too long. The batteries that were loose in the camera bag are all still OK ( even being old )
    If a lithium-ion battery is discharged below 2.5 volts per cell, a safety circuit built into the battery opens and the battery appears to be dead. The original charger will be of no use.
    I think that this is the crucial bit Apparently trying to charge a Li-Ion that is too discharged can lead to nasty results -- fire / explosion
    I have had a look at some "disassembly" pages so have an idea of what the battery looks like inside. ( Particularly the electronic circuitry -- which is the most important bit -- the cells are just standard Li-Ion items )
    I have a friend who is a very good electronics technician who "splits" and repairs laptop chargers and laptop batteries.
    I am going to ask him to have a look and see what he can do.
    I am still going to inquire about the horrendous price of Canon OEM ( R1,300.00 per battery )

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris
    I have someone reputable in Pretoria, HITGE Photography, who sells brand new LP-E6 for R 800,- plus postage.

Gerd

Post Thanks / Like

Gerd

Thank you for this. A great summary of what I thought I knew.
    The more you practice, the luckier you get! (Gary Player) .. and do I need lots of that now