Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colour differences - Mac / Win

I have always calibrated my screens.

Tonight I was showcasing at club event and where on my iMac I had bright vibrant colours, when projected off a Windows laptop, colours were muddy to say the least!

I got home, recalibrated, checked, colours still vibrant. Checked on my Business laptop (Win), muddy. Moved to another Mac, vibrant.

Image converted to jpg, 8 bit, sRGB.

Any ideas?
    The more you practice, the luckier you get! (Gary Player) .. and do I need lots of that now

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Colour differences - Mac / Win

Apart from not having the time to attend club meetings, one of the other reasons for resigning is the fact that the projector never projected my images identically as edited on my PC. A few other club member had the same problem so my case was not isolated. Sharpness, color (blacks in particular) and dimensions when projecting were the main problems and I lost a good few high end star rating due to it.

Having said that, I have not used a Windows machine for over a year now but am considering buying a Dell XPS which apparently is on par if not better than the Mac's for image and video editing.

Post Thanks / Like

I do know there are even differences on calibrated devices. And yes I have also seen photography club projectors that the images dont display correctly, despite the best efforts. More than that I cant comment on.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    I do know there are even differences on calibrated devices. And yes I have also seen photography club projectors that the images dont display correctly, despite the best efforts. More than that I cant comment on.
    I per se do not have an issue with the projector .. all get to look equally bad or good. What I need to get to the bottom of is the MAC Windows difference.
    The more you practice, the luckier you get! (Gary Player) .. and do I need lots of that now

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Veitch View Post
    I have always calibrated my screens.

Tonight I was showcasing at club event and where on my iMac I had bright vibrant colours, when projected off a Windows laptop, colours were muddy to say the least!

I got home, recalibrated, checked, colours still vibrant. Checked on my Business laptop (Win), muddy. Moved to another Mac, vibrant.

Image converted to jpg, 8 bit, sRGB.

Any ideas?
    You don't say if your business laptop is also calibrated. Also, what make of colorimeter are you using to calibrate your displays and what was used to calibrate the projector?

Post Thanks / Like

The problem I now have discovered has to do with colour space and how a Mac as opposed to a Windows machine treats it in preview mode. Mac seems to read embedded profiles whilst Windows does not.

LR presets recommends ProfotoRGB as the woking export colour space if an image is processed in RAW. When exporting directly out of LR to a jpg file, this problem is overcome by selecting the export colour space as sRGB. However if the image is exported to Photoshop for further work then Saved as a jpg with the preserve colour space box ticked, this is where the problem lies.

The answer is to either set your PS workspace as sRGB or if you wish to maintain the larger colour space, use the Export command set in the PS Edit menus.

Norm de Plume .. Business laptop not calibrated but differences were that vast that it did not matter. Calibration done with Spyder 3 and version 4 software.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Veitch View Post
    The problem I now have discovered has to do with colour space and how a Mac as opposed to a Windows machine treats it in preview mode. Mac seems to read embedded profiles whilst Windows does not.

LR presets recommends ProfotoRGB as the woking export colour space if an image is processed in RAW. When exporting directly out of LR to a jpg file, this problem is overcome by selecting the export colour space as sRGB. However if the image is exported to Photoshop for further work then Saved as a jpg with the preserve colour space box ticked, this is where the problem lies.

The answer is to either set your PS workspace as sRGB or if you wish to maintain the larger colour space, use the Export command set in the PS Edit menus.

Norm de Plume .. Business laptop not calibrated but differences were that vast that it did not matter. Calibration done with Spyder 3 and version 4 software.

"Mac seems to read embedded profiles whilst Windows does not..."

1. It depends on the application - WIN or MAC, being used to display the file. But there are more things to consider... (NOTE: Mac had colour profiles from the beginning - it only came later in Windows) IRFANVIEW - With the correct plugin installed, will display images correctly on a WIN computer. Preview on its own will not cut it.

2. It does not matter which machine - WIN or MAC - is being used for projection, it MUST be calibrated. In actual fact - calibrating the computer does not help at all - you actually calibrate the projector! A specific colour profile will be saved on your computer for use when you connect the projector - BUT this profile it will have no impact on the displayed image on your computer screen. AND - if you calibrated your screen - it will have NO impact on the projected image - two devices, two colour profiles are required.

2. The newer MAC's have screens with IPS panels - and they can display a true 8x8x8 bit colour, very close to the sRGB colour space - and very good display of a sRGB colour image. BUT, it is is also dependant on the application that is used to display the image. Very few WIN machines are fitted with similar screens, their TFT screens can normally only display a 6x6x6 bit TFT colour which will result in a smaller than sRGB colour space - and no amount of calibration will correct that.

3. Projectors are a tricky part - only a suitable projection system (computer, projector & screen) that can display a 8x8x8 bit file, correctly calibrated, in a DARK place, will display a file correctly. Forget to calibrate a standard R3999 business projector from GAME - it will not work.

4. In Lightroom you work in the ProPhoto colour space and SELECT the colour space your final image that you export, must have - Adobe RGB or sRGB - for example.

Now for the tricky part:

5. To display colours of an image file correctly, you should ideally use a colour aware application. Examples of colour aware applications are SAFARI and IRFANVIEW (with the correct plug-in installed)

6. The biggest error that occurs is when you shoot or output a JPEG file in Adobe RGB and display the file in an application that is not colour aware - you will get flat colours. (The first colour space lesson that I learnt!)

7. Colours on a computer screen and projected image will NEVER be EXACTLY same - they can only be close. Why? The colours from a screen are EMITTED , projected colours are REFLECTED. And now go and print the same images... We can get close between the various mediums, but not fully there. A good place is this example: The brightness range between a matt and glossy print is different, although you use the same file to print...

8. The PSSA has a set of standard files that you can use to check how your display system - computer, application and display - displays content.

I hope this helps - these are lessons I learnt while struggling with colours...
    Last edited by Leo Theron; 08-12-2016 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Correction made
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Theron View Post
    "Mac seems to read embedded profiles whilst Windows does not..."

Leo,

Thank you for a comprehensive reply to this thread.

We certainly all learn and hopefully continue to learn.