Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Sigma 150-600 doc

I have been using a Sigma 150-600 for mainly bird photography for about a year now. When shooting mainly terrestrial birds I noticed that it is front focusing. After getting the doc it made a huge improvement but also presented me with another problem. How do I fine tune infinity settings? The focus point at infinity is so far how do I determine the accuracy of the focus when it is set for the 4 focal lengths the doc calls for; 150, 250, 400 and 600mm. The other focal points are easy once the focus chart is downloaded and set up.

Default Re: Sigma 150-600 doc

Did you find a resolve to this David?

I have calibrated various Sigma's with the dock, including 150-600 C and S, and once you calibrate at 600 at 10m distance, I have not found any variation in accuracy when focusing to 50 meters. Good enough for me.
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Simon could u explain more.Do u put the same focus calibration setting in at infinity? Or only at 10m and the lens will still be accurate at infinity? I have the Tamron 150-600mm G2.I want to calibrate it too.Though with Tamron u calibrate at 2.2m then 20m and infinity

I'm also wondering about infinity calibration.On my one Canon body it pretty much focus spot on.But on my other Canon body it front focus.Would love to get your input.I have Googled ALOT.Most focus calibration tutorials are short lenses at minimum distance
    Canon 760D,Canon 50D,Tamron 150-600 G2,Canon 400 F5.6L,Fram Gimbal Head,Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 DC Macro,Canon 50 F1.8 STM,Sigma E-610 DG Super flash
    'For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return'
    Leonardo da Vinci

On the Sigma lenses that I have calibrated , the 10-12m focus distance has never resulted in longer distance or near infinity focus offset. So yes, they were calibrated at 10m and still accurate at 50+ meters. Might be that the Tamron software is different. I have also experience different issues on different bodies, front focus on one body, and back focus on another. Same applies with Canon lenses too, my 500 f4 L IS is calibrated differently on my two 1D series bodies.
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

I think I have cracked it? As mentioned previously I found it easy to set the focus of the Sigma 150-600s on the close distances they require with the doc software namely 2.6m, 6m and 15m but infinity proved to be a problem. My copy was front focusing quite obviously with my Nikon d7200 so I ended up setting the camera at 6 then I tackled the fine focus of the lens with the doc. I downloaded a chart and used it for the closer distances. Since I do quite a bit of bird and wildlife photography I took careful note of subjects standing in grass or small stones or even sand. I tried to just use f5.6 for these tests as I wanted to limit the depth of field as much as possible. I would then adjust the infinity settings accordingly. I found that infinity could be soft while the closer distances were sharp. My lens is now tack sharp. It is so well worth spending time with the fine focus. I can now enlarge 100% with very acceptable results.