Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Canon 1D MkIV

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Northriding / Randburg
    Age
    73
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Canon 1D MkIV

    I am using a 6D at the moment and I can buy a very good condition (low shot count) 1D MkIV for R 13.500,-
    I like the 1.3 crop for wild life and also the 10fps and also the weatherproof and strong body. I believe, the picture resolution is excellent,.Would it be better to buy a 5D Mk II or III for a little more or would the 1D your choice ?
    I am not a professional but a very serious amateur and I am in sixes and sevens what to do.

  2. #2
    Frequent Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,033
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    Although the tech a little old now, the 1D 4 remains a great body. Robust, reliable, weatherproof, high frame rate yes. If you have a 6D, then buying a 5D2 will add nothing to what you can do. A 1D 4 will add crop factor, and frame rate, and weather sealing. Your 6d has a better sensor, but 1D4 is excellent up to iso 1600, OK'ish at 3200.
    5D3 is another league from either of the bodies you mention. Better focusing system than 1D4 (but way lower frame rate, around half the speed!), better sensor (v similar to your 6D), but you will never get one for 13500 which today is an excellent price.

    At this price point you have little to lose, great supplementary body to your great ff body. I would grab it. 5D3 will cost you more than double.
    Now 2 generations old, of course resale will be poor when you choose to part with it, but you expect that if you buy a body that is many years dated!

    D
    Please criticize freely..I try to learn something new every day!

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Northriding / Randburg
    Age
    73
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    Thanks Dave
    Your reply is greatly appreciated and I agree with you. I would buy for the great body,frame rate and crop factor.
    Yep, I am going to do it.3Thanks again.
    Gerd

  4. #4
    Frequent Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,033
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    Pleasure, hope it works out well
    D
    Please criticize freely..I try to learn something new every day!

  5. #5
    Frequent Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    Surprised the 7D mk2 wasn't a consideration.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Northriding / Randburg
    Age
    73
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    Hi Everyone
    Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.
    Sorry, I am a bit late but I was travelling and did not always have internet connections.
    To answer Norm de Plume's question, ....Why not a 7D ?
    I always was very much attracted to the EOS 1-series and this 1DIV is very affordable at R 13.500 with less than 50.000 actuations.
    The crop factor of 1.3 is for me an added bonus, when in the bush and using the Canon 400mm f/5.6 or the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 Mk2
    with !.4 extender. Mainly I was after the 10 frames p. second and the excellent and strong body. In addition this body was not used outside and one can see the beautiful condition.
    As I said earlier, I am not a professional bu just a very serious amateur, who likes shooting wildlife (pardon the pun) and I know that the 10 frames/sec and the picture quality will be fine for me.....

  7. #7
    Frequent Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerd Kopanski View Post
    Hi Everyone
    Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.
    Sorry, I am a bit late but I was travelling and did not always have internet connections.
    To answer Norm de Plume's question, ....Why not a 7D ?
    I always was very much attracted to the EOS 1-series and this 1DIV is very affordable at R 13.500 with less than 50.000 actuations.
    The crop factor of 1.3 is for me an added bonus, when in the bush and using the Canon 400mm f/5.6 or the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 Mk2
    with !.4 extender. Mainly I was after the 10 frames p. second and the excellent and strong body. In addition this body was not used outside and one can see the beautiful condition.
    As I said earlier, I am not a professional bu just a very serious amateur, who likes shooting wildlife (pardon the pun) and I know that the 10 frames/sec and the picture quality will be fine for me.....
    That's why I was curious as to why not the 7D. It's got the strong body, same frame rate as the mk4, a 1.6 crop, and an AF system that rivals the 1Dx.

    Regardless, enjoy the Mk4.

  8. #8
    Frequent Member Thinus155's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    34
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    I would also go for the 7d mkii, newer tech always wins.
    Nikon D750, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VRii, Nikkor 200-500, Nikkor 50 1.8, SB-5000 Flash, SB-400 Flash

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Northriding / Randburg
    Age
    73
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    Quote Originally Posted by Thinus155 View Post
    I would also go for the 7d mkii, newer tech always wins.
    HiThinus and Norm de Plume

    I have read in different (overseas) photographic magazines, that the body of the 1D is

    1. Stronger and better sealed (hence heavier than 7D II
    2. The shutter mechanism is (must be) stronger than 7DII (life expectancy 350.000 +) with regard to 10frames /second (200.000 for 7D).
    3. My logic says that the 1D was built for hard, professional use, while the 7D is borderline amateur/professional.
    4. Photos taken per battery charge nearly double.
    5. The 1D is approx. 400+ gramme heavier and I don't think that is caused only by "old fashioned technology"
    Finally, I have no more than R 13.000, to spend and the best I have seen so far was R17.500,- used.
    6. I believe that the picture quality of the 1D is better than the 7D
    And as I said, the 1D IV was certainly the most expensive Canon at the time of launch, which you cannot say about the 7D.

    I know that the 7D is propped full of latest developments and technology but in the end ---for my purpose---the 1 D still delivers very very excellent pictures.

    Guys, to give you an idea who I am: If I had plenty of money I would not buy a MacLaren Mercedes. Guess what ??I would go for the 1950 s Merc 300SL with gull wing doors. That is why I like the "old" 1D so much.......

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Northriding / Randburg
    Age
    73
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    Sorry Guys, I have forgotten to ask a question:

    Under normal conditions (NO polar expedition and rafting down the Amazon at night or shark diving or photos from the space shuttle ) are the picture results of the 1D IV not very good ????????

  11. #11
    Frequent Member Jaco de Klerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    Good choice Gerd, enjoy! I had two of those and they did very well.
    Jaco de Klerk

  12. #12
    Frequent Member Thinus155's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    34
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    I am a gearhead, obviously i would go for the Mclaren , if you are happy with it take it, you are the one shooting with it after all.

    But according to me bodies become obsolete every 2-3 years. No one make APS-H sensors anymore and there must be a reason for it. Still logic suggests 1.3 will have better image quality than 1.6 and obviously full frame will outmatch it, IQ, high iso and bokeh.
    Nikon D750, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VRii, Nikkor 200-500, Nikkor 50 1.8, SB-5000 Flash, SB-400 Flash

  13. #13
    Frequent Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerd Kopanski View Post
    HiThinus and Norm de Plume

    I have read in different (overseas) photographic magazines, that the body of the 1D is

    1. Stronger and better sealed (hence heavier than 7D II
    2. The shutter mechanism is (must be) stronger than 7DII (life expectancy 350.000 +) with regard to 10frames /second (200.000 for 7D).
    3. My logic says that the 1D was built for hard, professional use, while the 7D is borderline amateur/professional.
    4. Photos taken per battery charge nearly double.
    5. The 1D is approx. 400+ gramme heavier and I don't think that is caused only by "old fashioned technology"
    Finally, I have no more than R 13.000, to spend and the best I have seen so far was R17.500,- used.
    6. I believe that the picture quality of the 1D is better than the 7D
    And as I said, the 1D IV was certainly the most expensive Canon at the time of launch, which you cannot say about the 7D.

    I know that the 7D is propped full of latest developments and technology but in the end ---for my purpose---the 1 D still delivers very very excellent pictures.

    Guys, to give you an idea who I am: If I had plenty of money I would not buy a MacLaren Mercedes. Guess what ??I would go for the 1950 s Merc 300SL with gull wing doors. That is why I like the "old" 1D so much.......
    1,3&5: Both the 1D and 7D bodies are made out of magnesium alloy. I think the added weight is to accommodate the bigger battery.
    2: Canon rates the 7D at 200,000 actuations and the Mk4 at 300,000. Then again they rate the 1Dx at 400,000 and mine failed way before that so I take those numbers with plenty of salt.
    4: Well the battery is twice the weight and twice the price but even so I regularly get 3000+ out of my 7D batteries.

    Price: 2nd hand Mk4 vs 7D - I can't argue with that. Still, I'm surprised the 2nd hand cost you mentioned for the 7D was higher than I paid for it new! Wow.

    I'm not really sure comparing MSRP is a valid one.

    At the end of the day, as long as you're happy that's all that matters

  14. #14
    Frequent Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    I still have two Mkiv's, and wouldn't waste a moment thinking of swapping either of them for anything other than an XMkii (which I can't afford). I think most pros shooting sport / things that move feel the same. It's a big step up from a 7D to a 1D, regardless of model. Chasing the latest tech is a very expensive hobby. The 1D's are machines.
    My only advice - the shutter is rated for about 300 000 clicks. They generally do at least twice that if they're used regularly. If you pack it away and only take it out twice a year then maybe it won't last quite as long.

    I see Norm has posted while I was typing. I accept that he's shot with a 7Dii whereas I haven't. As far as shutters go, most of the guys I know have gone well over 300 000 clicks on their Mkiv's (which most still use), and one is over 600 000 already.

  15. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Northriding / Randburg
    Age
    73
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    I also have a 6D which is a most recent, affordable full frame and it gives great definition and perfect photos.......It augments the 6D very well for wild life shoots (or the other way around)and gives me the 10frames/second.-----despite being of "advanced age"

    I love the Merc 300 SL with gull wing doors..................

  16. #16
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Northriding / Randburg
    Age
    73
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerd Kopanski View Post
    I also have a 6D which is a most recent, affordable full frame and it gives great definition and perfect photos.......It augments the 6D very well for wild life shoots (or the other way around)and gives me the 10frames/second.-----despite being of "advanced age"

    I love the Merc 300 SL with gull wing doors..................
    Thanks, Guys for all your input.

    I got the 1D IV yesterday and it is truly looking like new....in the box with all the accessories ....and the sound of the shutter at 1 frame and 10 frames......fingerlicking good. It is truly in pristine condition... (one of the reasons, I bought it and got it for R12.800,-) It belonged to a Pro and was used only as a studio camers). I will start using it ---hopefully before Christmas and "inspect" the results....

  17. #17
    Premium Member elsahoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    11,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    Hope you have lots of fun and get lots of great images. Happy shooting
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

    www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

  18. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Northriding / Randburg
    Age
    73
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    Hope you have lots of fun and get lots of great images. Happy shooting
    Thanks a lot,Elsa,

    i wish everyone a lovely and peaceful Christmas and a nice "slither" into 2017.......
    Remember; "Don't do anything, I wouldn't do......"

  19. #19
    Premium Member elsahoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    11,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Canon 1D MkIV

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerd Kopanski View Post

    i wish everyone a lovely and peaceful Christmas and a nice "slither" into 2017.......
    Remember; "Don't do anything, I wouldn't do......"

    well nowTHAT leaves it wide openhappy xmas to you too
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

    www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

  20. Likes Gerd liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •