Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default break a bank or marry rich

The new macBookpro (cheapest 15" with Touchpad)

https://www.digicape.co.za/macbook-p...?has_options=1Name:  mac.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  90.5 KB
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: break a bank or marry rich

I've been following the iStore and R/$ for quite some time now hoping the price of the 15" MBP with retina display would drop from R46k and then they went and released the new model. I presumed they would now reduce the price of the old models but I see that the top end 15" MBP with retina display is the same price as the lower end yet better new model! The options South Africans are given are also very limited. If you buy anywhere else around the world you can practically build your own MBP on either of the two available 15" options. You can change the processor, capacity, graphics and keyboard & documentation. Ridiculous to say the least!

Post Thanks / Like

Roberto - I agree and yet I know it is what it is. get on with it or die. that kind of thing.
    I am in the market for a new mac - but 43k is pushing it a tad far I think
    Also the price difference between here and B&H is considerable - (more on the 2015 model but not as bad on the newer ones) - I only did a quick sum or 3 so don't hold me to it.

the older models (2015) might go on special. But you are already paying a ton of $$$$ - so one would automatically want to go for the latest technology - I don't want to pay 37k for last year's stuff. I am willing to pay 27k - not more.

I am sitting between the devil and the deep blue see at present

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't go for the latest version because of the Touch bar. I use the Fn keys, a lot. My late 2014 was top of the range when I got it and it still holds it's own. Plus I've still got more than a year of apple care left on it.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Elsa. Would you think the cheaper 15" MBP with retina display is still a good machine to have? I presume it may all depends what you want to do. For photo editing it should do the trick. 256GB SSD opposed to 512, 2.2 GHz Core i7 processor opposed to 2.5 and the graphics are the main differences. This has been my other option at a cost of 35k.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Hi Elsa. Would you think the cheaper 15" MBP with retina display is still a good machine to have? I presume it may all depends what you want to do. For photo editing it should do the trick. 256GB SSD opposed to 512, 2.2 GHz Core i7 processor opposed to 2.5 and the graphics are the main differences. This has been my other option at a cost of 35k.
    Most things will do the trick for photo editing. Some will be better at the trick that others.

Roberto - I Agree that the 2015 MBP is still great. As all things Mac - it is still one of the machines which will last a long time to come.
    However - at the price these things are going for now - we might have to hold onto our MBP's even longer - therefor I would like to start with as new technology as possible.

The touch-bar is what the new MBP is all about. It's the pinnacle of the new machines - and what they were working towards. It's there to stay. If you absolutely hate that - stay with the older MBP. But be aware that your next MBP will have a touch-bar (hopefully a much better one by then)
    Touch-bar is particularly useful for apps - and many software developers still need to come to the party to include this in their development. Give it a bit of time -

re the USB-C ports - those are new technology and thats here to stay too (until the next thing comes out) Apple is not the first to go for it - but the first to exclude other ports to accommodate only USB-C. Get used to it - or stay with 2015.

Considering everything - money still speaks the loudest - and I am prepared to ride this one out a while - at least 6 - 12 months. Let's see what bugs crawl out of the woodwork. But when I eventually buy - no way I will buy older technology. btw The size of the HD is of no great interest to me at this point.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Who says the touch bar is here to stay? Seems to me it's a stop gap until touchscreen suddenly becomes Apple's latest and greatest innovation.

USB-C is great but hands up who's got a USB-C card reader? You're going to need one because Apple removed the SD card slot.

Thing to note about the new MBPs is the SSD is soldered on to the MB so upgrading it won't be possible. Same goes for the RAM but that's nothing new.

iFixit rates it a 1/10 for repairability so make sure you get AppleCare if you're thinking of keeping it longer than 12 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Apple put a lot on the line to do the touch-bar, and they have resisted the touch screen all along (obviously that might change). For Apple the touch-bar is where they see the future - and it appears it will be here to stay for a while. Long enough so that it will be adopted more widely. According to the horde of videos and reviews I have read - it is by no means perfect - but defnitely something Apple is proud of and is using to make a statement about future products. I cant say I that I particularly like it - but then I havent worked on it - nor seen it's uses myself. We have a natural tendency to avoid change - (why scratch if it isnt itching...)

Re USB-C slots: I am well aware of the issues - I do read as much as I can. Apple is not the first to adopt this new technology. And there are plenty cables available as well as docks/hubs. But there ARE issues with these - even with Apple's own. Teething issues I believe that I would prefer to avoid for now. But if nothing ever changes - and no one takes the step to move forward - we would still be using floppies and stiffies.

As a side note - I never use the SD card slot anyway - so no great shakes.

I did see the review from iFixit as well - but you also have to understand that they give it a rating on 1/10 exactly because they cant get into it. Apple will rate it 10/10 - so put both those into perspective.

In the 10 years I have owned MBP's - I have never had to take it in to be worked on. So for me the importance of IFixit's rating will be less important than to those who for instance buy a second hand machine 6 years down the line. It's all relative.

but as I said - I am in no hurry to rush out and buy. Should my current MBP fail me though - I will make a bee-line for the Apple shop. What I will buy - my wallet will determine to a large extent.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za