Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Canon 5D mk2 focus issues...

Hi guys

I an having a really frustrating focusing problem on my 5D. I have tried the micro adjustments.. works at focus distance that it was set at but anything further.. back focussing like crazy!!

I took the body to Steven from Sunray photography in Linden (JHB) and he said that there is nothing mechanically wrong with the focus box. I only need to have the autofocus system re-calibrated.. apparently this can only be done with the correct software and according to the loads of places I phoned, Cameratek are the only guys who can do this.. No problem with that besides that they just asking R1800 to do that.. Given, it includes a service which to be honest, my body does not need since its only done 26000 actuations.. R1800 doesnt seem like much but when you dont have it then it is a lot..

So to get to the point.. Is there anyone who can or knows of someone who can assist me with autofocus calibration or is there software that I can get to do it thats not more than Cameratek's R1800

Default Re: Canon 5D mk2 focus issues...

The calibration to be done with Canon software is a totally different thing to micro adjustments.
    This is an overall adjustment and not per lens. If your 5D is an older body (not MkII or MkIII) it might be a good idea to have a service anyway - dust etc even though you have few clicks. I have had my one Nikon body adjusted once. so been there done that.

I do understand your issue with paying - money doesn't grow on trees. Good luck and I hope you get sorted.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Frequent Member

Will FoCal help you?

www.reikan.co.uk
    -

Frequent Member

Quote Originally Posted by VikingRSA View Post
    Hi guys

I an having a really frustrating focusing problem on my 5D. I have tried the micro adjustments.. works at focus distance that it was set at but anything further.. back focussing like crazy!!

I took the body to Steven from Sunray photography in Linden (JHB) and he said that there is nothing mechanically wrong with the focus box. I only need to have the autofocus system re-calibrated.. apparently this can only be done with the correct software and according to the loads of places I phoned, Cameratek are the only guys who can do this.. No problem with that besides that they just asking R1800 to do that.. Given, it includes a service which to be honest, my body does not need since its only done 26000 actuations.. R1800 doesnt seem like much but when you dont have it then it is a lot..

So to get to the point.. Is there anyone who can or knows of someone who can assist me with autofocus calibration or is there software that I can get to do it thats not more than Cameratek's R1800
    Presumably this problem happens with any and all lenses you put on the body?

Hi.. focus problem is persistent on any lens.. Will check out focal - thanks a mil!!

Frequent Member

Quote Originally Posted by VikingRSA View Post
    Hi.. focus problem is persistent on any lens.. Will check out focal - thanks a mil!!
    I use FoCal but I don't think it's going to help you in this instance.

My thoughts are if camera repair people are telling you it needs to go to CameraTek, it probably needs to go to CameraTek.