Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Thread: Bridge Camera

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bridge Camera

I owned a Canon 600D with a 17-40mm lens. This unfortunately got stolen recently and now I need to replace it. I am thinking of rather going with a bridge camera this time, since I never took the DSLR with me due to the size.
    I am a mom and us my camera for family photos most of the time. I had a look at the Canon G3X or the Nikon P900 Coolpix. Not sure what else I should consider. I would appreciate some advise.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bridge Camera

Hi
    If the primary reason for changing from a DSLR is size then none of the Bridge style cameras would really solve that problem. The 2 you have suggested are among the largest. I have not used either of these so cannot comment specifically. They would appear to be great all in one units if the super zoom is important.
    I do own the G1x 11 and have been very happy with the holiday shots ( it does have a bigger sensor than the G3x)
    You are also replacing a fairly wide angle lens with a super zoom? Is this really needed for family photos?
    There are quite a range of Compact cameras that would be portable, however you will sacrifice focal length. ( They all about 25 mm to 100mm zoom lenses). My personal experience is that the compacts with larger sensors have significantly better quality photos than the small compacts.
    If portability is the primary criterion and zoom not, then I would go with G7x 11. There is also an interesting Panasonic ( Tz110 with 1 inch sensor and 10 x zoom) which may be worth a look.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the reply. Will have a look at the other Panasonic as well. I would like to have zoom as well, since I had a 70-200mm previously as well and do enjoy photographing wildlife. However, I barely used it, since I do not like changing lenses (or I don't always have time with the little ones running around, lol).
    I have just read some reviews and it seems as if the Panasonic Lumix FZ300 is also worth looking at

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The bridge cameras you are considering are all about the same size and weight as a DSLR so you will probably not achieve your objective of any smaller/lighter kit.
    You should probably look into some of the newer mirrorless options offered by Canon (M series), Fuji and Panasonic (Lumix). They all offer very compact bodies with decent sensors and provide the opportunity of changing lenses at a later date should you wish to.

This is quite a useful tool for comparing camera sizes.....

http://camerasize.com/compare/#630,533
    Regards, HILTON
    http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
    "If a photograph is interesting, nobody cares if it's technically good. If a photograph isn't interesting, nobody cares at all."

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the advise. I have decided to go for the Canon G7x ii. The mirror-less ones also seems nice, but I would prefer not to change lenses.
    Now just hoping the insurance can get hold of one, otherwise I will look at the Panasonic tz110

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just because you CAN change lenses doesn't mean you HAVE to change lenses. It just gives you an option at a future date, like if you are visiting a game park, or wanting to take landscapes.

If you buy the G7x Mk2 then you are stuck with 24-100. If you then want to visit a game park and take wildlife pictures (which you listed as one of your likes) you need to get yourself another camera.

Anyway, just my 2c.....
    Regards, HILTON
    http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
    "If a photograph is interesting, nobody cares if it's technically good. If a photograph isn't interesting, nobody cares at all."