Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Question Portrait Studio Lens?

I have Canon 60mm 2.8 Macro and Canon 55-250 4-5.6 for my studio. I am interested in buying the Canon 85mm 1.8. Will I have any benefit on it? I don't want to buy the lens if it will not give me better advantage. If not the 85 what other lens can you recommend?

Default Re: Portrait Studio Lens?

It does depend somewhat on the size (length) of your studio. An 85 is an excellent lens for portraits, but if you are shooting on a crop camera - it becomes a lot longer. I use a 135 f2 in studio - but it can be a challenge and I cant get full body with it, since I have my subjects stand quite a way from the backdrop also - which in effect shortens the studio. I cant tell you that you will get "better" shots - but I would go with it. Also depends on the reason why you want to get another lens.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

I guess the best way to handle this is to look carefully at what your current lenses are not doing well enough, and carefully look at what focal length you tend to shoot the photos you intend to use this lens for?

If you are in the right ball-park WRT focal length, and you are using your current lenses wide-open or close to wide-open, then the 85 f1.8 should give you better image quality. It will also give you the ability to use a much shallower DOF than you currently have access to.

However, if you tend to shoot at f11 or so, it is unlikely you will gain much if any advantage.

I have about 3m from backdrop space. I have the Canon 70d and tend to use F8 and lower for the studio to get good dept of field. The Canon 60mm is a little short for me and the 55-250's does not handle F8 and lower that well. Thank you Elsa and Peter for your input and I think I will invest in the 85mm.

Frequent Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Anna View Post
    I have Canon 60mm 2.8 Macro and Canon 55-250 4-5.6 for my studio. I am interested in buying the Canon 85mm 1.8. Will I have any benefit on it? I don't want to buy the lens if it will not give me better advantage. If not the 85 what other lens can you recommend?
    Ms A,

Your 60 lens on you 70D gives the equivalent of a 96mm (100mm ? - close enough) angle of view. The classic portrait lens is the 85/90 mm lens on a full frame camera...

Do not faf - USE that 60 on your camera. It gives excellent results.
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE