Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Is Nikon D500 poor man's D5

Quote Originally Posted by swainsons View Post
    Cleva people, help here please...

So I am taking D500 and 200-500, D610 with 80-200 and a wide angle. What body/ lens combo would you recommend I carry on the Land Rover during game drives?

Regards
    not sure where you are going (sorry if I missed that part) but thats a difficult question - as I dont know where you are going and what you will see. I have used from a 24 - 70 right up to a 200-500 on a game drive - some animals are right on your doorstep so to speak - some you wont even get with a 600
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by swainsons View Post
    Cleva people, help here please...

So I am taking D500 and 200-500, D610 with 80-200 and a wide angle. What body/ lens combo would you recommend I carry on the Land Rover during game drives?

Regards
    Can you not take both? As Elsa mentioned you will need both combinations (obviously dependant on where you are going)
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    (It is not important what I am but who I am)
    Always wanting more glass

Quote Originally Posted by tobieo View Post
    And here I thought the poor man's D5 is the D3s
    (which is what I am still using as my main wildlife camera for the last 5 years and getting excellent results, even Getty image acceptances at 7000 ISO +)
    Morkel Erasmus
    Rom 1:20"...his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made..."

WEBSITE | SAFFASCAPES BLOG | FACEBOOK PAGE | GOOGLE+

Gear I use: , ClikElite bags, RedGed tripods

Frequent Member

Quote Originally Posted by tobieo View Post
    Can you not take both? As Elsa mentioned you will need both combinations (obviously dependant on where you are going)
    I am taking both Tobie. I think the situation on the day will dictate what lens/ sensor combo I use. But I am really looking forward test driving the D500/ 200-500 combo.

Frequent Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    And here I thought the poor man's D5 is the D3s
    (which is what I am still using as my main wildlife camera for the last 5 years and getting excellent results, even Getty image acceptances at 7000 ISO +)
    Tssktssskk,

Most Nikon's I would say, from D7000 (DX) and D3/D700 (FX) upwards are VERY capable machines. Clients dont know if a good pic was shot with a D7000 or a D5, all they see is a good pic. GAS is a very very nasty disease.

Have a good weekend.

Oh I'd love a D5 and D500.
    I'd also love to visit places like Mana Pools and Etosha and Kgalagadi every year.

I can't have both. I'd rather take more photos than have the gear and not being able to travel - each has his own case and some are lucky enough to tick both these boxes
    Morkel Erasmus
    Rom 1:20"...his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made..."

WEBSITE | SAFFASCAPES BLOG | FACEBOOK PAGE | GOOGLE+

Gear I use: , ClikElite bags, RedGed tripods

Hi all... So anybody here have any experience with the D500?

My friends over at NikonGear has very favourable things to say about the new D500. Borrowed some info for you:

In terms of ISO - it appears the D500 is the best current DX performer, at ISO2546 D5 & D500 are equal.
    DPReview did some tests with the D500 and found the DR class leading - http://www.dpreview.com/news/4939144...ests-published
    I have seen really good images produced by this body.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    My friends over at NikonGear has very favourable things to say about the new D500. Borrowed some info for you:

In terms of ISO - it appears the D500 is the best current DX performer, at ISO2546 D5 & D500 are equal.
    DPReview did some tests with the D500 and found the DR class leading - http://www.dpreview.com/news/4939144...ests-published
    I have seen really good images produced by this body.

Thank you Elsah. .Going to collect mine this week..

Congrats in advance

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Thanks..
    I collected it and first impressions its awesome.. Went on a night drive on Saterday... Very difficult photography... My friend had a D700 with the G1 Tammy and really struggled. The D500 with the 200-500 not so much.. took shots right up to 51 000 ISO... Dont get me wrong, they not the cleanest at that, but that you can take a photo is still mind boggling...

I am so pleased for you. Happy shooting and PLENTY stunning images

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

The D500 is a bargain even new, albeit SA prices are inflated as we all know. Yawn...

I bought mine Used mint in London, September last, for 1300 quid trading in D7200. AF impressive; ditto ISO. Dropping said D500 2 weeks ago has served to reinforce the +ves of this Nikon. TFT monitor, front cover, focus screen, mount, prism box unit and eye piece block unit needs to be replaced. To quote what should have been a postmortem but I'm surprised was not "...TFT monitor, front cover, focus screen, mount, prism box unit and eye piece block unit needs to be replaced." [it fell off monopod to pad the freefall of near on 3kg of 300 2.8 on hard granitic clay... The camera still worked mostly apart from shattered rear screen [in full another story]... I fully expected military pyre with battle honours!

This was 2 weeks back. As I cannot wait until i'm next in UK in March, so into the city bowl it has had to go: sadly not to Orms. As in their crass stupidity, Nikon cling to parts and said parts are en route via Chelonian Freight from remote Asia, Orms have very kindly loaned me a D750...

My points being :

1) the recent experience in near terminal disaster confirms the comparative resilience of Nikons. The legend from war zones et al endures and rightly so.

2) Return to the D750 underscores the superiority of the D500. FX is a real +ve but AF cannot come near D500. Compared to D500, the inaccessibility of the ISO on the D750 is maddening. As I often shoot Manual with auto ISO but otherwise change with shutter & aperture.

One does not need to go on and on...waxing lyrical. It is all there to read etc across the wwww. Here a few links (i,ve amassed n++)

enjoy

kind regards

Fenton (Woody)

http://backcountrygallery.com/nikon-d500-review/

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D500/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/niko...0_dpr_nl_202_9

http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technica...ons/d500_tips/

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.co.../323/D500.html

https://photographylife.com/reviews/...00#more-128811

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d500.htm

Fenton, I do not quite undertsand what you mean by "the inaccessibility of the ISO on the D750 is maddening". Have you tried setting up one of the two user modes for this type of shooting? It takes a few minutes, but therafter it's just one turn of the mode dial and you have everything set up exactly as you want it.

Hi Peter

Yes, exactly. I'm using this but having gone from D7200 > D500 now D750, much prefer its accessibility of the D500 especially in Manual mode. I'm also familiar with the D3 and Df but not used them long enough to comment. The ergonomics of an SLR exercise a big influence on how it fares, not least as photographers work it in so many different genres. One of the the tests on the D5 last year placed great bias toward the the D4s WRT respective locations of the Mode Button for action shooting of cars...for the D5 "...almost a deal breaker for me..." [by Dean Smith pg 98 Digital SLR Photography Oct 2106 i can pdf this if feasible in this Forum]

In fairness the lack of at least 2 U settings on the D500 is a major design glitch: would make the camera even better

thanks