Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Any opinions or experiences with the Fujifilm XM-1?

I can get one of these in new condition for around R5k with the kit lens but it is the prosumer body in the Fuji line up and getting perhaps long in the tooth(released in 2013). The XM-1 has less of the handy control buttons on the body but it uses the same sensor as their Flagship body, how does focus speed compare and other pertinent points, are those missing buttons a deal breaker.

I shoot a lot with remote strobes in manual and use the shutter speed/iso instant access buttons on a Canon 5D to set the exposure, would doing that on the XM-1 be a pain in the butt?

Default Re: Any opinions or experiences with the Fujifilm XM-1?

No one owned one or at least played with one at some stage?

Seems it has 2 command dials, assign one each to shutter speed /aperture and the Fn button can be assigned to Iso, so my shoot technique won't be compromised.

Now I'm just wondering if anyone has direct experience with this body/these sensors and the 16-50 kit lens(basically a 24-70 focal range less the f2.8), focus performance and general feedback?

I've used most if the Fuji x series cameras, and I've settled on the xe2 as my most suitable camera.

recently I purchased a xm1 because the price was right. It has the same sensor AND processor of the xe2 and xt1, which means IQ wise the image files it produces are what you expect: beautiful, vibrant, pleasing. It's a cheap way of getting into the Fuji system.

the experience? Not as pleadsing as shooting with the xe2 of xt1.

controls and settings are buried deeper in menus as there are less buttons and dials on the xm1.

this means for me, things happen slower.

also, the lack of an EVF is an issue for me, it's just not as easy to frame.

where there is a benefit with the tilting rear LCD screen is when you need to shoot from above or way down low, the tilting screen is a benefit then. Also you can shoot from the hip looking down like the medium format cameras of old.

bottom line: if you want a Fuji system because of its hands on tactile experience, the xm1 is not for you.

if you're happy to shoot in auto mode, and don't mind not having an EVF, it's a great camera with stunning IQ, and a helluva cheap way of getting XT1 quality images at a bargain price.

I have a friend who is quite happy with this camera, however, this does not mean that it will suit you!