Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BoycottNikonSA

Post Thanks / Like

Default BoycottNikonSA

I will go out of my way to purchase Nikon gear from another country, even if it ends up costing me more. Just on principle I am no longer supporting Nikon SA. Their pricing is nothing short of insane.

#
    BoycottNikonSA
    #InsanePricing#TiredOfBeingScrewed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: BoycottNikonSA

I will make a business decision if and when I need gear - and buy what and where I can afford. I am hoping the retailers will fight this battle on our behalf.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

Yip I'm in

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the rand took a dive but there is just no justification why a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 is R20,000.00 more than the Canon equivalent when both lenses are sold for roughly $2,000.00 in the USA leading me to believe that the cost of manufacture in Japan is roughly the same. This leads me to conclude that Premium Brand Group are a bunch of greedy capitalist pigs and I for one will not play ball.

But I do believe that each individual should decide what is best for their own situation - I imagine for some it would not make financial sense to boycott Nikon SA, particularly at the lower end camera bodies and lenses. At the pro level, however, things are a whole other ball game.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here getting myself a tamron 24-70 and 70-200 for much cheaper and from what I've read they are actually better than the nikons in most areas and then any body will be imported or ask someone to bring it back for me from the states. I wana a d500 but no way in hell om paying more than a 5d mark iii for a crop censor body

Post Thanks / Like

Same here getting myself a tamron 24-70 and 70-200 for much cheaper and from what I've read they are actually better than the nikons in most areas and then any body will be imported or ask someone to bring it back for me from the states. I wana a d500 but no way in hell om paying more than a 5d mark iii for a crop censor body

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcmiller View Post
    I understand the rand took a dive but there is just no justification why a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 is R20,000.00 more than the Canon equivalent when both lenses are sold for roughly $2,000.00 in the USA leading me to believe that the cost of manufacture in Japan is roughly the same. This leads me to conclude that Premium Brand Group are a bunch of greedy capitalist pigs and I for one will not play ball.
    agreed

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ja guys Amazon is your friend they deliver most items and it's to your door works out much cheaper

Post Thanks / Like

Does Amazon use the post office or courier? Given our stellar post office...

Post Thanks / Like

All my Amazon items are delivered by aramex to my address they add shipping and custom prices already so no hidden costs when it arrives. O ja even with this terrible dollar price you can import the Nikon 70-200 VR ii for 35k compared to our over 50k

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Carlos

Post Thanks / Like

The RRP for which these items sell in other countries already includes the regional importer's costs and margin, so, once any differences due to import duties and taxes are added, those items should sell for the equivalent price here, or less. This happens all over the globe. So I have some sympathy with the sentiments echoed in this thread , about a local wholesaler whose prices have NEVER even remotely reached parity with other markets.

However, please be respectful of our hosts. I think it is a bit rude to discuss alternative import options on a forum hosted for us, free of charge and in good faith, by a trusted major retailer.......
    JamesV
    ==================================================
    D810, D800, 105 f2.8G VR, 18-35D-AF, 24-120 f4G VR, 70-200 f4G VR, 300 f4 AF-S, 500 f4G VR, TC1.4E III, SB800

13. Likes peterah, Grahame Lane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt or hosts are that sensitive, the beef is with NikonSA not ODP, am sure ODP get that. We are just voicing our frustrations on a public platform provided to us to do exactly this, if required. Can't give a guy a whistle and moan if he blows on it...

15. Likes Skyelark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is true that this price increase is no fault of Hedrus (ODP) or Ormrod (Orms) - this comes from the Nikon agents direct.

It is also true that Hedrus and Mike are going to be just as upset as they get all the complaints - and their sales will fall.

Thirdly it is true that we are a p*ssed off bunch of Nikon users -

No sane person will spend an extra R20 k on a lens just because he likes Hedrus or Mike. Yes someone may spend that for other reasons.

Lets call it what it is - it's an abortion of note - and I wonder what Canon is going to do - either cash in on the situation (good business move) or up their prices accordingly - and if they do put up their prices - we moan for a bit and soon we are all used to it and start buying again.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

I actually pity the retailers like ODP. This kind of aggressive pricing cannot be healthy for their sales at all. Nobody wins, I doubt even the Nikon agents are winning because at these prices they surely must notice a massive loss in sales.

Now I understand that Canon has yet to raise their prices inline with the devaluation in the rand but I bet anything they are not going to sell their 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM mkII for R50k...

At current prices you can pre-order a Nikon D5 or buy a Canon 1Dx with 24-70mm and 70-200mm f2.8. It's kind of a no brainer to go the Canon route.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    Lets call it what it is - it's an abortion of note - and I wonder what Canon is going to do - either cash in on the situation (good business move) or up their prices accordingly - and if they do put up their prices - we moan for a bit and soon we are all used to it and start buying again.
    Canon have been changing their prices accordingly..

For example, I bought my 100-400 ii in September last year. Look at the exchange rate:

JPY/R (Sept 15): 8.6
    JPY/R (Current): 7.1
    % Change: 21

R/USD (Sept 15): 13.9
    R/USD (Current): 16.6
    % Change: 19

100-400 ii (Sept 15): R22 089
    100-400 ii (Current): R26 335

So Canon seem to be adjusting their prices in line with the fluctuating exchange rate.

Now here's a comparison that I posted in the other topic, just the other day:

Canon 100-400 II (USA): $2 099
    Canon 100-400 II (ODP): R26 335

Nikon 80-400 (USA): $2 300
    Nikon 80-400 (ODP): R58 140

Remember that lenses incur a 0% duty in SA and if you do the math, you'll find that we're one of the cheapest (if not the cheapest) countries in the world to buy Canon lenses (US prices don't include tax!). Nikon lenses are subjected to the same 0% duty that the Canon lenses are..

So if the duties are 0%, then surely retailers could buy Nikon lenses at retail prices overseas, ship them here, add a mark-up, and still be cheaper (Yes, they'll pay VAT when importing, but can claim back that VAT when they sell the lens)? Yes, but the company that has the rights for Nikon in South Africa has a tendency to sue anyone that tries this. They sued a small business for R1 Million which forced them to close down. Their CEO then said this:
    "Grey-product importing has a negative impact on our country's economy, as well as on job creation in South Africa." - Stefan van der Walt, CEO of Foto Distributors.

Now don't get me wrong, I too would be furious if another business were selling goods that only I had the rights to distribute, but it takes some cheek to try spin it off like our economy and employment rates are the reason behind any litigation! They're just trying to protect their criminal mark up.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Well done to Canon for taking SA seriously! The same cannot be said for Nikon and for that reason, I sincerely hope that everyone does indeed boycott them.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boetjan View Post
    Canon have been changing their prices accordingly..

For example, I bought my 100-400 ii in September last year. Look at the exchange rate:

JPY/R (Sept 15): 8.6
    JPY/R (Current): 7.1
    % Change: 21

R/USD (Sept 15): 13.9
    R/USD (Current): 16.6

100-400 ii (Sept 15): R22 089
    100-400 ii (Current): R26 335

So Canon seem to be adjusting their prices in line with the fluctuating exchange rate.

Now here's a comparison that I posted in the other topic, just the other day:

Canon 100-400 II (USA): $2 099
    Canon 100-400 II (ODP): R26 335

Nikon 80-400 (USA): $2 300
    Nikon 80-400 (ODP): R58 140

Remember that lenses incur a 0% duty in SA and if you do the math, you'll find that we're one of the cheapest (if not the cheapest) countries in the world to buy Canon lenses (US prices don't include tax!). Nikon lenses are subjected to the same 0% duty that the Canon lenses are..

So if the duties are 0%, then surely retailers could buy Nikon lenses at retail prices overseas, ship them here, add a mark-up, and still be cheaper (Yes, they'll pay VAT when importing, but can claim back that VAT when they sell the lens)? Yes, but the company that has the rights for Nikon in South Africa has a tendency to sue anyone that tries this. They sued a small business for R1 Million which forced them to close down. Their CEO then said this:
    "Grey-product importing has a negative impact on our country's economy, as well as on job creation in South Africa." - Stefan van der Walt, CEO of Foto Distributors.

Now don't get me wrong, I too would be furious if another business were selling goods that only I had the rights to distribute, but it takes some cheek to try spin it off like our economy and employment rates are the reason behind any litigation! They're just trying to protect their criminal mark up.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Well done to Canon for taking SA seriously! The same cannot be said for Nikon and for that reason, I sincerely hope that everyone does indeed boycott them.

Apples with Apples, please...

A USD 2000 item from America today will be more than ZAR 34000 at present rate of exchange...

The price of an item on the shelf can hardly be compared with the (projected) list price of an item that must still land during these volatile exchange rate times.

Please note: I do not condone runaway profits!
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Theron View Post
    Apples with Apples, please...

A USD 2000 item from America today will be more than ZAR 34000 at present rate of exchange...

The price of an item on the shelf can hardly be compared with the (projected) list price of an item that must still land during these volatile exchange rate times.

Please note: I do not condone runaway profits!
    How is this not apples with apples?

I never compared a released item, to an unreleased one. Both items are stocked already, and have been available for more than a year.. I'm not referring to the D500 or the D5.

Are you suggesting that Canon stocked 100-400 ii lenses when the exchange rate was lower, and Nikon did not (even though that lens has been out since 2013)? Because the discrepancy in pricing is not limited to the 100-400 ii/80-400, that was merely an example. Unless you're suggesting that Canon imported their entire range at a lower rate than Nikon did, which I think is somewhat unrealistic seeing as though their prices have increased in line with our exchange rate, as was compared in my earlier comment.

Whichever way you want to look at it, a lens that costs $2300 in the States, cannot possiblly cost R58 000 here when our import duties on lenses are 0%. That's an exchange rate of over R25/$. Also, keep in mind that there is a (albeit very small) duty on lenses in America which is included in that $2300 (which is not payable here). On top of that, $2300 is retail price, not the cost price which the Nikon SA distributors will be paying.

These are "runaway profits"!

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Canon 100-400 mk II:

THAAAT SITE IN USA: 2100 USD

Price at ODP: ZAR 26335 (Direct conversion: 1 USD = ZAR 12,54)

The exchange rate yesterday afternoon: 1 USD = ZAR 16,60

So, a realistic comparison price in South Africa would be 2100 X 16,6 = R34 860 - not the price of old stock at ODP.

Needless to say, jump and buy what you can, you might be able to sell at a profit!

In business we know that the quickest way to burn your fingers big time is to try and predict forex rates and buy foreign products without the neccesary cover.
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Theron View Post
    The Canon 100-400 mk II:

THAAAT SITE IN USA: 2100 USD

Price at ODP: ZAR 26335 (Direct conversion: 1 USD = ZAR 12,54)

The exchange rate yesterday afternoon: 1 USD = ZAR 16,60

So, a realistic comparison price in South Africa would be 2100 X 16,6 = R34 860 - not the price of old stock at ODP.

Needless to say, jump and buy what you can, you might be able to sell at a profit!

In business we know that the quickest way to burn your fingers big time is to try and predict forex rates and buy foreign products without the neccesary cover.
    No, you're misunderstanding.

The lenses are not imported from the US, I'm only comparing it to the US prices for the sake of convenience. Presumably Canon SA get their stock from Japan. And, as I have shown before, Canon have been raising their prices in line with the exchange rate. Our retail price is substantially lower than the states, and that's great!

Basically, I wouldn't expect a massive increase in Canon's prices. They've been moving with the exchange rate all the time, I don't see why that will change.

(Hence the Rand has lost +-20% on the Japanese Yen in the past 6 months, and Canon have increased their prices by +-20%)

Edit: By the same measure, the 80-400 should cost roughly R28842 in SA (2300 x R12.54)