Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: BoycottNikonSA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: BoycottNikonSA

When the price of the D500 was adjusted down the R/$ rate was R16.70. The rate is now R15.41. That is a R3000 difference, give or take a few bucks.......So the price should now be adjusted again so Nikon SA should base their recommended retail price down accordingly !. Delivery has been postponed to end April, meaning a price fixed now should not be binding. Hopefully the R/$ will improve even more by then. I still have a problem with the difference in price between the Nikon D5 and Canon 1Dx Mkii. In the US the difference is R8000, yet in SA it is R33000......Something is not right here !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well bought my first non Nikon lens, the tamron 24-70 and it's a beast of a lens

Post Thanks / Like

Well for what its worth.. I emailed Nikon with this question of cost, Nikon v Canon, including some of the examples that were raised on the forum, to Stephen Segal on the 1 Feb, He responded and said he had sent it on to management. No response so I followed it up. Stephen said he had forwarded my mail to Julio... I checked with Julio. Julio said he was in no position to comment and that I should address it to Grant Norton. I sent a mail to Grant on the 25 Feb.. Not so much as the courtesy of a response.. So Nikon obviously don't care about the pricing issue...

But for me of even greater concern, is that I believe Nikon have retrenched around 20 people...Including Julio. Stephen has resigned...

Post Thanks / Like

Great lens... Maybe slightly slower to focus than the Nikon... but for the money...I have seen a number of Nikon pro photographers with them..

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post

But for me of even greater concern, is that I believe Nikon have retrenched around 20 people...Including Julio. Stephen has resigned...
    Well, they made their bed, they must lie in it.....

Pity about Julio, that ou knew his stuff.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Well for what its worth.. I emailed Nikon with this question of cost, Nikon v Canon, including some of the examples that were raised on the forum, to Stephen Segal on the 1 Feb, He responded and said he had sent it on to management. No response so I followed it up. Stephen said he had forwarded my mail to Julio... I checked with Julio. Julio said he was in no position to comment and that I should address it to Grant Norton. I sent a mail to Grant on the 25 Feb.. Not so much as the courtesy of a response.. So Nikon obviously don't care about the pricing issue...

well I really hope that isn't true, because they the only two guys there that could assist you and help you out the rest of them where all useless and didn't know what they where doing when I was there I always go to one of them

Post Thanks / Like

The price difference is what made me stick with Canon when I wanted to upgrade to full frame. The pricing difference was almost a whole tier.
    At the time, Canon was also slightly cheaper at ODP than on Amazon.

Also, I found out I am underinsured on my camera equipment by about 30%. Last time I updated was this time last year. The rand is really screwing us.

Post Thanks / Like

I currently live overseas (Israel) and am returning later this year to SA. I took the liberty of checking local pricing here for the Nikon 70-200 and it matches that of the US, dollar for shekel. Comparing the Shekel/Rand exchange rate I'd be looking at buying one for about R31,000.

That's one hell of a difference. Nikon dominates the market here in Israel though so I'm sure that explains the reasoning to a large extent.

It's not all roses, however. If I was to buy a new Nikon V2 it's around $800, which is way too high for an older model. That said you don't see any Nikon 1's here on the street.

Post Thanks / Like

R41k for an 85mm f1.4. Eina!

Post Thanks / Like

that's an understatement...
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

If they can't issue a statement with some kind of reasoning behind the huge price discrepancy then clearly its price gouging on the part of the importers.
    Ignoring calls for comment is the oldest trick in the book, just leave them hanging, none the wiser.

Post Thanks / Like

More than happy to boycott Nikon SA. After Christmas in 2004 I bought my D70 from my cousin who came out from New York. The camera was only a few weeks old.

I'm not sure what the problem was at the time (probably a request for a sensor clean...I knew zip about the D70 then) but Nikon SA refused to entertain the service due to the unit not being bought in SA.

I asked what would happen if the Nikon SA CEO went to Botswana for a holiday and his Merc broke down and the Botswana Merc agent said "sorry pal, you didn't buy your car from us, take a hike"

B&H and Amazon are our friends now

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Rother View Post
    B&H and Amazon are our friends now
    Nor B&H nor Amazon will ship Nikon products to SA.

Good luck with that statement.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swainsons View Post
    Nor B&H nor Amazon will ship Nikon products to SA.

Good luck with that statement.

Regards
    You can get a redirect address in the states ( I just ask my cousin in NY)

Post Thanks / Like

We can moan and bitch and be fed up and threaten Nikon to boycott them - but in the end - first prize is if they come to the party and support us as photographers. Getting gear fro overseas is no joke - besides organizing it, you sit with the worry of getting it thru customs clearance - and don't let us forget we live in Africa. Things disappear.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, the best way to boycott anyone, is to shop with your feet. Go buy from the competitors.

I am also told that Nikon SA will support products sourced outside our borders provided that you present some form of customs documentation proving legitimate import.
    The more you practice, the luckier you get! (Gary Player) .. and do I need lots of that now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Veitch View Post
    Actually, the best way to boycott anyone, is to shop with your feet. Go buy from the competitors.

I am also told that Nikon SA will support products sourced outside our borders provided that you present some form of customs documentation proving legitimate import.
    First you have to get someone to ship to you
    Then you have to declare it to customs
    It sits in customs till they work out the relevant duties and vat (pretoria)
    Then it gets shipped to your address, you collect at post office - pay the relevant fees and collect.
    in-between the international tracking number stops working and you have to find the local tracking number . THATS is a mission of note.
    this can take a couple of weeks and it is really scary to have gear sit "somewhere" for weeks and you dont know if you are going to get it.
    Nikon will service your gear (not under guarantee though) if you can provide proof payment the relevant duties/vat etc.
    so - while no one wants to pay the high costs - one needs to remember that it's not all that easy or cheap.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

I just registered - after 30+ years with only Nikon I remain brand loyal with unapologetic forays into Zeiss. With 2 minor exceptions for a 50 f1.8, I have only bought Used Nikkors within SA, otherwise I buy in UK.
    It's even worth the off-peak flight. I also looked seriously at New York – B&H but the prices vs UK do not win out. For Used there’s KEH
    https://www.keh.com/
    but don’t forget shipping logistics + taxes contingent on shipping address
    Another option a fellow nikonitis sufferer and I have discussed in all seriousness is 2-3 nights "hit & run" on Tokyo. Now … Well I nearly have all the lenses i can more than justify ....Well, ok nearly :-) 300 4E PF and another PCE. Contingent on lottery winnings there’s the 70-200 f2.8E VR3 !

And I have a couple of Nikkor classics in AI awaiting at most reasonable prices but most costly plan is a top end FX Nikon body (finally, i have a used Df reserved). There’s the D810 but i'm among the many awaiting Nikon's plans in this its 100th year (a D810 upgrade is widely considered imminent)

Remember Non-UK Residents can claim back UK VAT. Either show items to customs after leaving immigration and get receipt + vat form to post back to shop for reclaim OR far better check to use agent….
    But VAT is not paid on 2nd Hand photographic goods (goes to show the killing Grays of Westminister are making on Used Nikon) cf http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/...hp?cat1=2&pg=1

The following sources represent massive investment searching the www , backed up by ground-truthing with purchases. I have found these to be competitive. I hope they are of wider help:

1) http://www.apertureuk.com/Nikon_DSLR.html
    My favourite camera shop on this paltry planet, darkened of late by Tangerine Tyrrany.
    A mecca in London and not only Nikon. ONLY USED items. The guys in there should be lauded by the Queen for service etc.
    The main branch is in Soho close to Tottenham Crt Stn on Northern line
    https://www.cameramuseum.uk/
    Aperture also have a Photographic museum (!)
    http://www.apertureuk.com/Nikon_DSLR.html

2) https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/New-Equipment-Home/

many branches in UK also wide & overturning Used stock. I've bought from both Guildford and Strand & both +ve

3) https://www.calphoto.co.uk/
    these guys are competitive but counter service at Drummond branch nr Euston Stn sucks... only my humble experience … Talking of torrid service, I will never buy from Park Cameras again [should be #4 but disqualified] but they remain of use to check items on display to buy elsewhere. Free int J

4) http://www.wexphotographic.com/
    In Norwich so N+ quid on train fare to actually visit but mail order in UK works (a revelation for many in Africa)

Big inventory including Used but in the case of the latter it’s website designer should not let loose on the hard pressed consumer. You have been warned!

5) http://www.cotswoldcameras.co.uk/nikon-18-c.asp
    The following is intriguing - the reviews are mostly +ve. I've been in contact - yet plan to dig deeper. Prices are decidedly lower on most items (yet price of the 300 4E PF is a shocking ripoff given it's sans VAT). Buying mailorder within UK may be delayed so budget requisite days)
    Yes, they don't charge UK VAT; i have no clue how. I don't work there...

Hope the above is useful & better helps cut costs on your gear. Good hunting
    Last edited by Fenton Cotterill; 29-01-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo's my apologies! Window here too small to edit but pasting from Word knocks out spaces?!