Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BoycottNikonSA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: BoycottNikonSA

Quote Originally Posted by Jostian View Post
    I doubt or hosts are that sensitive, the beef is with NikonSA not ODP, am sure ODP get that. We are just voicing our frustrations on a public platform provided to us to do exactly this, if required. Can't give a guy a whistle and moan if he blows on it...
    Moan about the prices all you like. That is not the issue I am talking about.

The rude part is when we abuse ODP's hospitality, as some have done in this thread, to give advice on importing gear directly from alternative sources that bypass ODP. I think that is a bit offsides, not so??
    JamesV
    ==================================================
    D810, D800, 105 f2.8G VR, 18-35D-AF, 24-120 f4G VR, 70-200 f4G VR, 300 f4 AF-S, 500 f4G VR, TC1.4E III, SB800

2. Likes Grahame Lane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes maybe, better to err on the side of caution I guess...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    I will make a business decision if and when I need gear - and buy what and where I can afford. I am hoping the retailers will fight this battle on our behalf.
    Good sensible pragmatic point of view, especially for a Tannie.
    The more you practice, the luckier you get! (Gary Player) .. and do I need lots of that now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Veitch View Post
    Good sensible pragmatic point of view, especially for a Tannie.
    Ya boet - I am a wise old duck at times
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

6. Likes FrancoisCloete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be nice if we could get some sort of feedback from Premium Brand. I have posted to their facebook page but have so far gotten 0 replies. It's really sad when you cannot even engage with suppliers / distributors and have an open honest discussion around your grievances. Precisely why I have taken to just boycott them - I'll take my business elsewhere. As a matter of fact, if all goes according to plan I'll be buying a D5 later in the year and NOT in South Africa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James Voortman View Post
    Moan about the prices all you like. That is not the issue I am talking about.

The rude part is when we abuse ODP's hospitality, as some have done in this thread, to give advice on importing gear directly from alternative sources that bypass ODP. I think that is a bit offsides, not so??
    sorry there I did not mean anything against odp with my post there. I still support them was there last weekend and will be going in 2 weeks again for my lens but unfortunately I can not support them with anything Nikon any further as its just too expensive and will have to buy off the classifieds or import from the states. Really hope the prices could be fixed but doubt that will ever happen. Was thinking of changing to canon but that's not worth it either... If the dollar where to drop to let's say 12 would these prices also drop loads or stay where they are

Post Thanks / Like

Who knows what the future holds financially -

I am confident that Big H and Orms will take this matter further. It is their lively hood we are talking about.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

10. Likes Grahame Lane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yip, likely to go to the states for work for a few weeks maybe in April, so I'll also get the D500 while over there.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky guy

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon SA has its challenges too. It is not as simple as "overcharging and profiteering"
    We as dealers also don't fully understand but are relaying our concerns to them. They also know about these sentiments and are trying their best to do something about it.
    Trust me, they as well as the dealers are very stressed at the moment.
    One of the big factors are that Canon SA is part of Canon International. Nikon is a local distributor and are bound by their agreements to get their inventory from Nikon in Middle east.
    Exchange rate obvious played a huge role, Nikon Prices internationally went up and new models came into play.
    I think as soon as the volatile exchange rate evens out the pricing will do too.
    That our hope.
    I also cry myself to sleep because I cannot buy a D5 anymore and I already sold me D4.
    Hedrus van der Merwe.
    E-mail: Hedrus

14. Likes Deneys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Hedrus - I am sure your concerns are much bigger than ours - and I know you will do anything you can to help yourself and us. It is appreciated and your voice carries more weight that ours does.

BTW - I can get you a D5 that fell off the truck

Just kidding

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to note that the Adobe subscription of $9.99/month which was R109.36 in March 2014, was R170.36 in Jan 2016. This is a 55.8% drop in the rand....have camera prices increased by a similar amount??....if not, be very aware of future pricing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StanBlumberg View Post
    Interesting to note that the Adobe subscription of $9.99/month which was R109.36 in March 2014, was R170.36 in Jan 2016. This is a 55.8% drop in the rand....have camera prices increased by a similar amount??....if not, be very aware of future pricing!!!
    Stan - I have that in my mind for a long long time.... it's really scary.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hedrus View Post
    Nikon SA has its challenges too. It is not as simple as "overcharging and profiteering"
    We as dealers also don't fully understand but are relaying our concerns to them. They also know about these sentiments and are trying their best to do something about it.
    Trust me, they as well as the dealers are very stressed at the moment.
    One of the big factors are that Canon SA is part of Canon International. Nikon is a local distributor and are bound by their agreements to get their inventory from Nikon in Middle east.
    Exchange rate obvious played a huge role, Nikon Prices internationally went up and new models came into play.
    I think as soon as the volatile exchange rate evens out the pricing will do too.
    That our hope.
    I also cry myself to sleep because I cannot buy a D5 anymore and I already sold me D4.
    Thank you very much for your feedback Hedrus, it is greatly appreciated.

Unfortantely I do have to disagree with you, Nikon's prices globally have NOT increased. They may have increased in some areas but not everywhere. The 70-200 f2.8G is still retailing in the USA for around $2,000.00US and the D5 is launching at the same price as the D4s (hence no increase). Now if the prices have increased in one area and not others I expect Nikon SA to throw their toys. I am still, however under the impression that Premium Brand are blatantly just ripping us off.

As I said in a previous post, the Canon and Nikon 70-200 equivalents sell for roughly the same price in the USA and in the UK. Why is there then such a huge difference here in SA?

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcmiller View Post
    Thank you very much for your feedback Hedrus, it is greatly appreciated.

Unfortantely I do have to disagree with you, Nikon's prices globally have NOT increased.
    Sorry boet.... http://nikonrumors.com/2016/01/28/ni...in-japan.aspx/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swainsons View Post
    Let me paraphrase. Nikon prices have not increased everywhere. Yes they may have increased in some areas but not everywhere.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The truth is, the market will settle itself, Nikonites will defect, bleat scream etc, similiarly, on the other side, eventually, the Canonites will do similiar. And so this industry roles, its only going to be like this for ever.

For now, I suggest, we all just brace, cause this is gonna be a tough year. Get stuff done differently, rent, buy second hand, whatever, moaning aint gonna help nothing.

All the best, and go take pictures, it relieves stress.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosF View Post
    Same here getting myself a tamron 24-70 and 70-200 for much cheaper and from what I've read they are actually better than the nikons in most areas and then any body will be imported or ask someone to bring it back for me from the states. I wana a d500 but no way in hell om paying more than a 5d mark iii for a crop censor body
    I have both and they are excellent value for money lenses, cant fault them.

Post Thanks / Like

Only got to read this last night and compared Nikon an Canon prices. Wow what a difference, that's until I checked again now. Canon prices have just gone up. A 1Dx will set you back 90k and a Canon 70-200 mkii is R33000. Still far from Nikon's prices but a big increase nonetheless!

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting,

Yesterday I was in Sandton, and one of the Nikon reps was taking pictures of the windows, which predominantly displays Canon.

They must be sweating.

Regards