Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Thread: Nik software

Default Nik software

Nik software tuts

Adobe’s Photoshop is an amazing program with infinite capabilities. I won’t even attempt to mention what one can achieve with it, BUT - Photoshop is complicated, difficult to learn and excessively vast.Nik Software took on the challenge of condensing Photoshop’s essential photographic tools into an easy-to-use plugin. They took some really advanced and difficult-to-learn photo editing and reduced it to a few sliders and buttons. I used to be a big advocate of advanced editing – I always felt that the more complicated, the better. So you can understand that I was hesitant to try out some plugin full of shortcuts. When I eventually gave it a go, it totally changed my outlook on photo editing. Color Efex is fast to learn and easy to use. Where it used to take me many long hours teaching people how to carefully enhance their images in Photoshop, I can have someone operating Color Efex smoothly after two 30-minute sessions. They can then do everything from advanced contrast application to adding vignettes or selective colour enhancement. There simply isn’t a better or more affordable option on the market today. For $150 you get Color Efex as well as six other dedicated programs similar to Color Efex.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Default Re: Nik software

There are numerous other 'preset' programs available, such as Topaz, Smartphoto and so on. Very often the preview is not quite what the image looks like when subsequently opened in PS, requiring additional work. I try to reverse engineer the preset, and recreate it as an action in PS. That not only saves time, but allows substantial flexibility.

Nik software has a very good reputation. I have the whole suite, but admittedly I only use 2 of the apps. Silver Efex is outstanding for B&W work, I use this extensively. And suprisingly enough I use the analog Efex as well, but only on the odd edit. I have yet to really use Color Efex properly or the other ones.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr

No matter what application come to the market, but Adobe Photoshop has its own place. No other application can give us the filters and effects that the y do.

Quote Originally Posted by neal114 View Post
    No matter what application come to the market, but Adobe Photoshop has its own place. No other application can give us the filters and effects that the y do.
    no argument there. But Nik isnt "threatening the existence of PS - its a product that stands on it's one two legs.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za