Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Studio shoot over exposed

I have been given the oppertunityto assist with a proffesional photoshoot in a studio next month.
    I am using the following settings :
    ISO100
    F5.6 - f11
    Shutter 1/125

Camera lens 18- 55mm, 50mm

300V Studio light with softbox
    white back ground

Studio light is triggered by wireless remote via camera.

My testphotos of single model is in focus and sharp but overexposed and color washed out.
    My couples and family photos - some in focus some blurry but also color washed out.

My camera is set up on AF-A, whitebalans auto.

What am i doing wrong ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Studio shoot over exposed

Hi

Do not lock the shutterspeed. If overexposed, shutter speed is to slow. Rather shoot on aperture priority mode (a-mode) to change aperture with wheel, but camera decides exposure.

Can also shoot in s-mode to set shutterspeed, but camera will then change aperture automatically to correct exposure.

Regards
    Bennie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning

There are many ways to approach this, but I would set my camera to manual mode and then settings to what ever you want them to be. 1/125, f8, ISO 100 should be just fine. Using a light meter, adjust you lights power until it reads the same as you camera settings. Fire away and you will be spot on. If you don't have a light meter, you can check the exposure using the back of camera LCD and histogram, but it is not as reliable as the light meter option.

Do remember, if the model moves closer or further from the light from where you took your reading, exposure will change.

Hope that helps.
    Michael
    Last edited by Mike Mac; 25-02-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Beg, borrow, or steal a light meter. It will just make things so much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Light meter, and the correct output setting for the SS/F-stop you want.
    Cobus

Post Thanks / Like

You cannot shoot in studio in aperture priority. Manual mode works best. You need to set the shutter speed to the synch speed of the lights which is about 1/125 or 1/160. You will then set your aperture according to the depth of field you require. F8 is a general aperture that gives a sufficient depth of field on a single model. Your white balance should be set to flash or approx 5300k, AWB will not give consistent results. ISO 100 is fine.

You need to now set your lights to give the correct amount of light for your camera settings. A flash meter is normally used for this function so that the metering can be done accurately. Your subject should then be correctly exposed. Also remember that if you need your background to be white, you will need to separately light the background or else it will be grey. Your subject should then also be about 2m away from the background to eliminate light spill from the backdrop.
    Capture the light and share it with the world!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all beautiful people for the advice, i will test and try them out again.. and again.. and again.. practise makes perfect .

If I am shooting groups, will F11 be sufficient ?
    The studio is not very big and can fit max 4 people in a group with enough moving space.
    Just one more question, do Itake a light meter reading on my subject at the place he/she will sit/stand with the studio modelling lights on. or do i take a reading on the light coming from the softbox itself?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sall View Post
    Just one more question, do Itake a light meter reading on my subject at the place he/she will sit/stand with the studio modelling lights on. or do i take a reading on the light coming from the softbox itself?
    You want to read the light illuminating your subject, so the light must be as modified, and with the strobe shooting, not the modeling light.
    Cobus