Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

StockShooter Forgiss - Sean Nel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Profoto B1 - A new age in Flash!

I have not been this excited about a Flash unit or related product in the last 10 years! Sure, I was in awe of the Profoto B4, but it's too expensive to be present in every studio. Profoto has changed all that today!

Over the weekend I presented a few workshops at the 2013 Photo&Film Expo in Johannesburg South Africa on "Liquid Dresses" and high speed flash in general.
    During the sessions I mentioned that "Something" from Profoto is coming that will change the way we shoot flash in studio and on locationů well, today I can tell you all about it!

It's the Profoto B1 and it's awesome!
    More or less the same shape and dimensions as the 500watt D1 heads, the units have a few new tricks hidden in their electronic wizardry!

All here: http://www.shootsimaging.co.za/blog/...w-age-in-flash
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Profoto B1 - A new age in Flash!

Still not sold on this replacing our traditional Profoto Battery packs.

Love the "all in one" form factor, but as we'll never use TTL for "real" photography I do not see the advantage of watering down the available power in order to use this head. Also, look at the flash-tube "reflector" compared to the traditional glass cover over the flashtube we're used to in Profoto heads. Compare for example a Magnum reflector on both this and a normal Pro-head. Nothing alike! Almost defeats the point.

Thanks, like the innovation, but no thanks.

StockShooter Forgiss - Sean Nel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends a lot on what you actually shoot. I am also not a TTL fan, simply because I like to creat the light the way I want it... that said, the short flash duration is very cool for me, and means I can shoot B4 type work at less than half the price...

By the way, the protective glass shield is actually very handy, but if you like you can also replace it with a traditional shaped one (slightly shorter though) - but I think you know the range as you shoot Proheads (http://profoto.com/int/products/acce...rs-accessories)

I think it's a product that is great for a specific task, although it can do other things... Kinda like a 35mm and 135mm prime... both can be used to shoot portraits, but very different portraits, and your general style will dictate where your reach first...

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of these with great expectations. In my case, the jury is still out.

I like the the reliability that I get from these ( as apposed to my Jinbei's). They just don't miss a beat and can keep with with my 5d mk111. They are also very convenient. Not having any chords or separate battery pack is great.

My problem with them is that they don't hyper sync well and are not powerful enough (with magnum let alone beauty dish or soft box) to over power the sun.

I am am truly hoping that they will sort out Hypersync with the Air Trigger and produce a 1000w version. At that point I will invest in another one or two.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Any news on a 1000W version?

Also does it reliably fire 250 full power shots per charge?

Post Thanks / Like

Morning Can't answer your ? as I have not had the need yet to put the claimed 220 full power flashes it to the test. Seeing as I am here I may as well update you on my opinion of the flash as I have now had more time with it and the TTL Air. for me, the 500W version is simply not enough when shooting outdoors with modifyers on the light. No news yet on the 1000w version as far as I can see (which I am waiting for before I get the much needed second light). Profoto modifyers and very expensive (beauty dish, with grid and diffuser nearly R9k, second battery R3.5k etc). So if you are not invested in Profoto gear already, think carefully because you are going to need deep pockets . Using TTL on my 5Dmk111 with the TTL Air, it underexposes by about one stop. Not a major problem with flash compensation on the camera. Other than that, great light, doesn't miss a beat, easy to set up and use with no cables etc. Hope that helps

7. Likes TIM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike.

I already have 3 Profoto D1's, and want to get another 2, so debating more D1's with battpac, or getting B1's.

Little trick I discovered, buy some Profoto speed rings, and then buy some chinese modifiers. I bought a lot from Profoto first (2x bd, octo, softboxes, reflectors, etc), and then realised that using the Profoto speed ring, it fitted the old chinese bowens modifiers I had.