Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Photo printer recommendations

Hi All
    One of my printers gave up the ghost and I am looking to replace it with a really good pro printer, ideally to print up to A3, direct disk printing, and it must be a fast printer. I have been looking at some Canon and Epson printers but am not sure on them. Any recommendations welcome ?

Default Re: Photo printer recommendations

I see the Canon Pixma Pro-10 got a good score from TIPA
    Canon 5D3
    Sigma 50-500mm DG OS, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Yungnuo FN568EX and YN565EX flashes
    Website

StockShooter Forgiss - Sean Nel's Avatar

I have reviewed the Epson R3000 and I loved it! ended up buying the cheaper R2000 - Very happy with the print quality, but fidgety to set up for wireless printing (unlike the R3000 that was a total breeze)

I have the older Canon Pixma Pro 9500II. Great quality. Bit slow from start and expensive on inks. The problem with the earlier Epson's was that you needed to change out cartridges when switching between B&W and colour printing resulting in significant ink loss with each purge cycle.

My guess is six of one, half a dozen of other.

My advice is analyse cost of ink per ml and base your decision on that. I also have the impression that Epson branded paper is more readily available than Canon. However, SteveG in a previous post offers great advice on alternative suppliers.

I also believe that the Canons have a separate print head which is less prone to clogging if the printer is used infrequently (other posters may want to shoot me down on this one!)
    The more you practice, the luckier you get! (Gary Player) .. and do I need lots of that now

Frequent Member Karin Leibbrandt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Veitch View Post
    I have the older Canon Pixma Pro 9500II. Great quality. Bit slow from start and expensive on inks. The problem with the earlier Epson's was that you needed to change out cartridges when switching between B&W and colour printing resulting in significant ink loss with each purge cycle.

My guess is six of one, half a dozen of other.

My advice is analyse cost of ink per ml and base your decision on that. I also have the impression that Epson branded paper is more readily available than Canon. However, SteveG in a previous post offers great advice on alternative suppliers.

I also believe that the Canons have a separate print head which is less prone to clogging if the printer is used infrequently (other posters may want to shoot me down on this one!)
    Did any of you come to a final decision as to which printer is the better one, Canon or Epson? I want to buy both a smaller, as well as the large format printers and cannot seem to get a definite answer.

Those who danced were thought to be quite mad by those who could not hear the music -

Angela Monet

(Comments on images reflect personal opinion on creativity, visual impact and beauty.
    Technical aspects are not commented on whatsoever.)

by the way... epson did show their new ink tank system at the expo

http://www.epson.co.za/za/en/viewcon...s/index/10289/

No sure which printers this all covers, but I know my R2000 is not one of them... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Forgiss - Sean Nel View Post
    by the way... epson did show their new ink tank system at the expo

http://www.epson.co.za/za/en/viewcon...s/index/10289/

No sure which printers this all covers, but I know my R2000 is not one of them... *sigh*

Sean, thanks for this - I missed it at the show. Just saw the large format, but am still not convinced it will be the best buy? I have some requests for canvass printing, and would rather now start doing it myself than give someone else the profit. (Obviously, once installed, well, will advise all!)

I also want a smaller printer with professional quality. I saw that you bought a Canon printer?

Those who danced were thought to be quite mad by those who could not hear the music -

Angela Monet

(Comments on images reflect personal opinion on creativity, visual impact and beauty.

No, I have the Epson R2000 A3+

I do have the older ip5400 canon but could never really get the colours right

Quote Originally Posted by Karin Leibbrandt View Post
    Sean, thanks for this - I missed it at the show. Just saw the large format, but am still not convinced it will be the best buy? I have some requests for canvass printing, and would rather now start doing it myself than give someone else the profit. (Obviously, once installed, well, will advise all!)

I also want a smaller printer with professional quality. I saw that you bought a Canon printer?
    Karin

Many things to think about if you want to print large format "commercially":

Can you secure your inks and papers with the discounts that the bigger labs can;
    Do you have the equipment and knowledge to color calibrate the printer to the media you are using;
    Who will stretch the canvasses for you or for that matter make the frames.

This applies to large format, i.e. A2 and bigger.

I would however still buy a smaller (A3+) printer for personal use and accept that due to smaller ink tank size (and hence cost) that you will end up by paying more than getting the prints commercially done. Canon or Epson, I'll still go Canon because I principally print colour.

Hope that I have not confused the issue even more.
    The more you practice, the luckier you get! (Gary Player) .. and do I need lots of that now

I am not saying Epson is better than canon, not having used one of the photo printers in years, but just helping to muddy the waters a little bit more...

The Hahnemuhle certificate states that the print is guaranteed for 45 years if mounted behind uv glass and printed with Epson ultrachrome ink... I don't know if there is a canon comparable version of this certification?

Karin: how large do you want to be able to print?

If you are aiming at A1 and bigger then you are going to be investing quite a lot of money (R80-100K) in a very large printer. Have you got the budget AND the space for this kind of machine? R80K buys you A LOT of prints from a good lab... In other words it will take quite a long time before you get any return on the investment. The big printers also devalue pretty quickly so you won't get much back if you decide to bail out and sell it.

If you are aiming smaller than this then you can buy in for quite a bit less, but I won't guess at the costs of the smaller machines. Canvas requires roll support so that means at least the canon or epson 17" pro printers. (I think the R3000 does rolls, but only tiny little 12 or 13 inch rolls. I don't think small canvas prints look nice, paper is better for small)

I've said it before: printing for yourself is more about control over your results than economy. For this reason alone it is worth it. It CAN become economical over time, as you get good at it and stop wasting time, ink and paper, but this time may be longer than you think. So what I'm saying is: do the costing VERY carefully in order to decide if it is right for you.
    Stephen Gibson - Art Assist - Custom Printing and Fine Art Reproductions
    Facebook Page and my Autumn 2014 Pricelist

Wanted to say the same Stephen just did... It's a big investment and a long time to make that money back!

Guys, thanks for the responses, I appreciate

Angela Monet

Your forum is absolutely fantastic as the are lots of great information. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesarness1 View Post
    Your forum is absolutely fantastic as the are lots of great information. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here.

home remedies for warts on hands