Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Frequent Member michaeldenysschen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Softbox? If you had only one choice...

Hey all,

Newbie to softbox choices here. I would like to know if you had only one choice of softbox, which size and shape would it be? I already have shoot through umbrella but would like to invest in a softbox as well.

A lot of my work I do is mobile so that is a factor I would like to keep in mind when purchasing.

I was considering a 60 x 60.

Cheers!
    Michael
    Michael
    Sigma Ambassador

60D, Canon 100m f2.8 macro, 70-200 f4L, 580 EX and 430EX.

Sigma 8-16, Sigma 150-600 C, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.0, Sigma 30mm f1.4 Art

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Softbox? If you had only one choice...

I have a bunch, but my pick would be my 5ft (there abouts) octabox.
    But sometimes space is the limiting factor.

StockShooter Forgiss - Sean Nel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Michael, It's the ADHD answer... How long is a piece of string? oh look, a balloon!

Your softbox choice will be dictated a lot by the lights you own, the brand of modifiers you intend to buy, and then their intended use.

It's bloody difficult to take a bad shot with a Giant Octobox, but like Rich said, space might be an issue... going for something smaller is cool, but then you get harder shadows... which may be fine or not...

A 60x60 is a rather small "soft"-box and will give you pretty hard shadows with the only benefit being that you can move it very close to a face and have flare blocked off.

Then you have to decide do you want silver reflective internals or white? makes a big difference when you take the difusion panel off

What you actually need to do is decide what are the pics you want to take: look, falloff, shadow depth and specular highlights, and then decide your size and material from there...

I have a range of modifiers from a 40x40cm softbox, right up to a 90x120cm including a 3' octo and then I have the same in umbrellas... from really small 55's to a 163cm Profoto Silver and a 180cm parabolic - have a look here to see the slight but definite diffs between silver reflective a white diffused:

http://www.odpmagazine.co.za/musos-c...-vs-parabolic/

Personally... if you want an "all-round" little bit of everything, look at a 60x90cm (3x4') silver lined box... It's like driving a Jetta... comfortable, solid, easy to drive and will give you a usable result every time...

4. Likes TIM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys....thanks for the input Sean. Appreciate all the help.
    Michael
    Sigma Ambassador

Sigma 8-16, Sigma 150-600 C, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.0, Sigma 30mm f1.4 Art

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add, if I was shooting my preferred subject (beautiful women) my modifier of choice would be a white beauty dish.

It's not a soft box, but is my fav modifier.

Post Thanks / Like

As you mentioned, you are a mobile user. As such the 60 x 60 is a good choice. If you were talking about a studio, completely different scenario.

So ditto on what Sean said.

Using a big modifier outside in a wind is a real pain, even with an assistant. I use my 60x60 a LOT. I would prefer to have a nice big softbox or beauty dish, but it just isn't feasible (or just plain difficult) while on the move.

Also, you dont mention what kind of flash system you are using, which will make a difference as well. You cant really use a nice big Octa with a speedlight.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave...sorry I am using a 580ex and 430ex for lighting. Seems like the 60 x 60 or about there is the way to go.
    Michael
    Sigma Ambassador

StockShooter Forgiss - Sean Nel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldenysschen View Post
    Thanks Dave...sorry I am using a 580ex and 430ex for lighting. Seems like the 60 x 60 or about there is the way to go.
    If that is what you are going to be using it on, then yes... wouldn't go much bigger than the 60, unless you group units together

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sean...just need to get my set of triggers first for now. Might use either of the speedlites to shoot through diffusion panel for now. Don't need much more for the coming shoot.
    Michael
    Sigma Ambassador

Post Thanks / Like

my 5c worth..............if you are only using speed lights (mobile) then the 60x60's would be fine..........except if you are going to do full length shots with a bit of surrounding background AROUND the talent. Moving a 60x60 far enough out of the frame will present you with a problem. Horses for courses, I'm afraid.