Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Leopard Kill at Mala Mala

I was recently on safari at Mala Mala (and Mashatu with Greg du Toit. Marth van Rensburg and Marius Bezuidenhout on his Southern Africa Predator Workshop), and we had the privilege of witnessing this Leopard kill not 5m in front of our vehicle.

It was our last day on drive at Mala Mala and of course we were all sad that it had come to an end, but we were blessed to end it all with this incredible sighting.
    Thanks goes to Martha for recording this footage but credit must also go to Mala Mala ranger, Roan Ravenhill for spotting the leopard on the side of the road and stopping in time. On the opposite side were a herd of Impala and on the left a well secreted leopard hidden in the dappled light. The wind was making the Impala very skittish and yet even with sentries on the lookout and one Impala in particular looking directly at the Leopard, they failed to see it.

After a good few portrait shots of the leopard, who alternated between indifference and a state of high-readiness, we settled in for what turned out to be a 30 minute wait for the action to unfold. At one point I was getting anxious that we would have to leave the sighting in order to catch our transfer, as these events can sometimes take ages; but we were very fortunate indeed.

Martha most fortunately had decided to setup her GoPro camera (gotta get me one of those now), on the vehicle; while the rest of us alternated between peering behind the viewfinder and waiting patiently at the scene.
    Something spooked the Impala, we're assuming it was the wind; and the next thing they all started storming directly towards the leopard, who was of course now 100% awake and ready for action!
    The leap that she makes in the air is just mind-blowing and the speed at which it unfolds is almost beyond comprehension.

Needless to say I didn't capture the moment at all (LOL/SOB), I had my long lens ready but nothing wide enough or unzoomed enough for that. Naturally we had assumed that the Impala would go deeper into the bush and the leopard would stalk after them, never expecting the Impala to rush straight into the leopard!

The kill was quick and the leopard immediately dragged the impala off into a nearby donga. She then skulked off presumably to fetch her nearby cub to benefit from the kill.
    The barking impala continued to ring out through the bush, our adrenaline was at an all time high, and high-fives were being given out all round.
    It was an incredible experience and an incredible way to end an amazing safari with Greg!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax3-F5bu5hQ&hd=1

(Thanks again to Martha van Rensburg for uploading this video and sharing it with us all. Please ignore the YouTube trolls and haters, some of the comments below the video are just ridiculous and insulting. Check out Martha's page on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/mipix)

Last edited by ianweatherburn; 04-10-2012 at 10:51 AM.

StockShooter Forgiss - Sean Nel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Leopard Kill at Mala Mala

Wow... Nice!

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely awesome...thanks for sharing Ian.
    As for not having captured it on camera because of wrong lenses et al, reminds me of the saying...."One day when your ship sails in, make sure you're not at the airport"

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

*sigh* I hear you Stan But you know honestly, I'm OK with it...I saw it happen in front of my own eyes and was in awe, and that was good for me. Plus we have the privilege of Martha's to recall the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the comments!

"wtf that cheeter is a dick.. strangling it to death what a tortuous way to die..ffs why didnt u help the imperlar? u do realise that you need to show compassion to the imperla r right?

ihavekankles 19 hours ago"
    "Seriously,,,, What did you think they eat!? Rainbows!
    I bet you can't even count to potato...

grayc1269 in reply to samisyosam 17 hours ago"

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.What an amazing sighting. I wish i were so fortunate, to see this. Pity you didn't get "the shot" too - that would have been the cherry on the top.

Post Thanks / Like

Just amazing to witness this. Sometime in instances like this I ask myself if it is not just better to experience the event rather than to be trying to capture it. Just increadible!!!! That said, thanks for capturing and sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that must have been a stunning moment.
    Canon 500D, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing, the hits on this video just keep climbing, 3m+ this morning, and apparently it was mentioned on 702 this morning by @702JohnRobbie.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For some reason it seems I can no longer edit this post. Please note Marius' surname is "van Tonder".

I see this video made the front page of the Star as well. (thanks for the heads-up on that Isak)

Post Thanks / Like

wow... talk about "going Viral"!!

Post Thanks / Like

Stunning.

Just shows how quick one needs to be, anticipate the action.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

An amazing viewing experience in the wild for those that were present!

..... and also an amazing viewing experience on YouTube, with a clear
    demonstration that there is more collective intelligence in one of those
    impala that there is in 80% of the YouTube commentators combined!
    Regards, HILTON
    http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
    "If a photograph is interesting, nobody cares if it's technically good. If a photograph isn't interesting, nobody cares at all."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiltonP View Post
    ...with a clear
    demonstration that there is more collective intelligence in one of those
    impala that there is in 80% of the YouTube commentators combined!
    Hahahahaha... ain't that the truth!

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad but true...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this footage will be shown on natgeo on 22nd December 2013 in a program called being there at just the right time.
    Nikon D600 nikkor 70-200mm 2.8 VR II micro nikkor 105mmVR 50mm 1.4 24-85mm VRII 18-200 dx VRII Nikon 2x convertor HYLO 300W studio lights with brollies 2x softboxes 60cm x 60cm honeycomb and barndoors white/blk backdrop Nikon SB800 SB910 speedlight MB14 battery grip Photoshop Elements 11 Elements premiere 11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ianweatherburn View Post
    I was recently on safari at Mala Mala (and Mashatu with Greg du Toit. Marth van Rensburg and Marius Bezuidenhout on his Southern Africa Predator Workshop), and we had the privilege of witnessing this Leopard kill not 5m in front of our vehicle.

It was our last day on drive at Mala Mala and of course we were all sad that it had come to an end, but we were blessed to end it all with this incredible sighting.
    Thanks goes to Martha for recording this footage but credit must also go to Mala Mala ranger, Roan Ravenhill for spotting the leopard on the side of the road and stopping in time. On the opposite side were a herd of Impala and on the left a well secreted leopard hidden in the dappled light. The wind was making the Impala very skittish and yet even with sentries on the lookout and one Impala in particular looking directly at the Leopard, they failed to see it.

After a good few portrait shots of the leopard, who alternated between indifference and a state of high-readiness, we settled in for what turned out to be a 30 minute wait for the action to unfold. At one point I was getting anxious that we would have to leave the sighting in order to catch our transfer, as these events can sometimes take ages; but we were very fortunate indeed.

Martha most fortunately had decided to setup her GoPro camera (gotta get me one of those now), on the vehicle; while the rest of us alternated between peering behind the viewfinder and waiting patiently at the scene.
    Something spooked the Impala, we're assuming it was the wind; and the next thing they all started storming directly towards the leopard, who was of course now 100% awake and ready for action!
    The leap that she makes in the air is just mind-blowing and the speed at which it unfolds is almost beyond comprehension.

Needless to say I didn't capture the moment at all (LOL/SOB), I had my long lens ready but nothing wide enough or unzoomed enough for that. Naturally we had assumed that the Impala would go deeper into the bush and the leopard would stalk after them, never expecting the Impala to rush straight into the leopard!

The kill was quick and the leopard immediately dragged the impala off into a nearby donga. She then skulked off presumably to fetch her nearby cub to benefit from the kill.
    The barking impala continued to ring out through the bush, our adrenaline was at an all time high, and high-fives were being given out all round.
    It was an incredible experience and an incredible way to end an amazing safari with Greg!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax3-F5bu5hQ&hd=1

(Thanks again to Martha van Rensburg for uploading this video and sharing it with us all. Please ignore the YouTube trolls and haters, some of the comments below the video are just ridiculous and insulting. Check out Martha's page on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/mipix)

Great sharing ...!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kasha45102 View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    Great sharing ...!