Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Focus hunting Canon EF 16-35mm Mk I Lens + 5D Mk I

I'd like to buy a Canon EF 16-35mm 2.8 L USM Lens that's in very decent condition but when I put it on either of my 5D Mk I bodies it focus hunts and struggles or even fails to lock on to focus - it makes that loud clicking sound as the USM motors move the elements around trying to find focus , both the 5D bodies were in auto mode and I made sure I was not going closer than the minimum focus distance , all shot in a well lit room.

With any of my other L lens there will be a max of 2 or 3 clicks and then focus locks , this lens will carry on clicking many times till you let go of the shutter button.
    I use the 5D Mk I bodies with many Canon L Lens incl the old 17-35mm L 2.8 and never have I had focus hunting to this degree. After an L lens has orientated itself , ie found what the camera body has specified is the zone of focus , to hear more than 2 or 3 clicks as the USM motors move the lens elements around and still not finding focus is highly suspect to me - its only ever happened to me before in extremely low light conditions where focus hunting is to be expected.

Is the lens faulty?
    If it is faulty will a Cameratek +- R1500 lens service sort it out?
    Or would it be wiser to just stay away from this lens completely and prevent the tears that will come?!!

Thank guys!
    Last edited by Skyelark; 28-03-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Default Re: Focus hunting Canon EF 16-35mm Mk I Lens + 5D Mk I

Ive been using the same combination for three years now and no focus hunting problem here other than the old 5d problem in very low light. I bought my lens new as one of the last ones just as the mark II was released. If the lens is faulty it will do it on other bodies as well so try it on another camera. Step outside in daylight and see if it works?

I really like my lens and also use it as a walk around on my cropped sensor cameras with very good results.
    Pieter!

Quote Originally Posted by Trommel View Post
    Ive been using the same combination for three years now and no focus hunting problem here other than the old 5d problem in very low light. I bought my lens new as one of the last ones just as the mark II was released. If the lens is faulty it will do it on other bodies as well so try it on another camera. Step outside in daylight and see if it works?

I really like my lens and also use it as a walk around on my cropped sensor cameras with very good results.
    Thanks Trommel , I tried it on 2 different 5D MkI bodies and both times the same severe focus hunting.
    I tried my 17-35mm 2.8 L on the 5D's now in the exact location and light conditions and no focus issues at all.
    Looks like the lens is faulty - anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem and if its fixable?

Can't advise what the problem is...but i put a used 16-35mm on my 5D at Orms on Tuesday and the focus was very good and locked almost instantly outside and inside the shop(which is dark) at f2.8.
    What kind of price are they asking?
    Canon 5D MK III,16-35mm F4 IS L,24-70mm f2.8 II L, 70-200 F2.8 IS MK II L,100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 L IS II,100mm F2.8 Macro,Canon 50mm f1.4,Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake, Canon MP-E-65mm,MT-24 EX Speed-light,430 EX Speedlight, Manfrotto MK055XPRO3-BH tripod with 498RC2 Ball Head
    https://www.facebook.com/MikeWrankmorePhotography

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wrankmore View Post
    Can't advise what the problem is...but i put a used 16-35mm on my 5D at Orms on Tuesday and the focus was very good and locked almost instantly outside and inside the shop(which is dark) at f2.8.
    What kind of price are they asking?
    Asking price is R5500 , which seems reasonable - anyone have a 16-35mm to sell on ODP?

Orms was asking R7 500....the rubber seal between lens and body was worn and slight scratch on front element but it didn't show in the files.....so R5 500 pluse calibration and repair....Maybe R7000 at the least.......bit expensive i think!
    Canon 5D MK III,16-35mm F4 IS L,24-70mm f2.8 II L, 70-200 F2.8 IS MK II L,100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 L IS II,100mm F2.8 Macro,Canon 50mm f1.4,Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake, Canon MP-E-65mm,MT-24 EX Speed-light,430 EX Speedlight, Manfrotto MK055XPRO3-BH tripod with 498RC2 Ball Head
    https://www.facebook.com/MikeWrankmorePhotography

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wrankmore View Post
    Orms was asking R7 500....the rubber seal between lens and body was worn and slight scratch on front element but it didn't show in the files.....so R5 500 pluse calibration and repair....Maybe R7000 at the least.......bit expensive i think!
    Yes if it is faulty , which it most definitely must be , then R5500 is to much - I've got hold of the seller about it and I'll see what they say - the lens is quite clean though , although if it gets repaired it'll be completely cleaned anyway!

Frequent Member

I bought a used one, excellent nick for R6000, not a mark on it, looked like it was never used before I bought.

In hindsight not sure why I bought it.