Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Default Canon 5D MKII Technical Question - Autofocus shooting video

I have loaned a 7D and when in video mode if you half press the shutter button it focuses on the white rectangle - the same way one would focus if shooting stills. Currently I can only focus the 5D if I press the AF-ON button which does not naturally fall to hand. Does anyone know if there is a custom setting on the 5D to change this to the shutter release button?

In the same vein, is there a way to get video to start and stop by pressing the shutter release button. I do know that currently this is used to shoot stills while rolling video but I so seldom want to shoot a still half way through shooting a video that this would not be an issue.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/marnix_dl/
    Canon 5DMKII, 30D, 24-105, 16-35II, 70-200 2.8 IS, 100 F2.8, 50 F1.8, 100-400IS, 580EX & EXII, Pocket Wizards, Manfrotto Mono and Tripods

Default Re: Canon 5D MKII Technical Question - Autofocus shooting video

Did you mean borrowed?

So you now have a 5D in your hands and not a 7D? Just checking. I know if you dig around in the custom functions there ought to be an option where you can reset or change the button functionality back to square one. The owner probably disabled AF-start on the shutter and uses back button focusing.

Does this help?
    H I L T O N R A L P H S
    ...Most IT related problems result from a combination of digito tribulationis and a cerebrum BOMBULUM...

Please try this CPN link - it contains useful information on custom settings:
    http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/eos_5d_custom_functions_explained.do

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    In the same vein, is there a way to get video to start and stop by pressing the shutter release button. I do know that currently this is used to shoot stills while rolling video but I so seldom want to shoot a still half way through shooting a video that this would not be an issue.
    Not possible, if you press the shutter the camera will take a photo regardless if you are recording a video or not.
    "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by cagenuts View Post
    Did you mean borrowed?

So you now have a 5D in your hands and not a 7D? Just checking. I know if you dig around in the custom functions there ought to be an option where you can reset or change the button functionality back to square one. The owner probably disabled AF-start on the shutter and uses back button focusing.

Does this help?
    Thanks for the replies.

"Borrowed" means my brother has a 7D and I have the 5D but I am off to the Kruger so want to 1.6 crop on my 100-400mm for the extra reach and may also need the burst mode of the 7D. We swapped for 2 weeks.

This is an interesting link and when I get the 5D back i will try check if this is correct in camera "C.Fn IV -1 Shutter button/AF-ON buttonThis is one of the most used Custom Functions as it allows you to set back button focus, so you can shoot static and moving subjects without having to change the AF mode.
    Setting 0 by default the Shutter button and AF-ON button both activate metering and start AF functions."
    Canon 5DMKII, 30D, 24-105, 16-35II, 70-200 2.8 IS, 100 F2.8, 50 F1.8, 100-400IS, 580EX & EXII, Pocket Wizards, Manfrotto Mono and Tripods

It would seem that what I want to do (use the shutter button to autofocus for video) is not possible. See the quote from http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resou..._article.shtml

"AF is always activated on the EOS 5D Mark II with the rear AF-ON button. Pressing half-way down on the shutter button will not engage AF, unlike some other EOS models."